Break Up Facebook / Amazon / Google?

3 billion in incentives for the worlds most valuable public company to build an HQ2 here never sat well with me either, and I’m pretty far from the progressive end of the spectrum.

they should put a major hub in TX or St. Louis over NYC.

I never really cared about this because there has to be some incentive for Amazon to go NY over TN or TX.

There is still so much upside to Amazon. Some of which we haven’t even realized yet.

NY is really going to miss out on that asteroid mining money :face_with_monocle:

So De Blasio is shitting on AOC over this…

“[The state] would have effectively been paying out $3 billion in incentives [over 10 years] for what would have likely been the equivalent of $27 billion over 25 years. You can play with the math, and you can tell me that there were going to be additional costs, and there likely would have been, but if I handed you $3 billion and you gave me $25 billion back, or you gave me $15 billion back, or $10 billion back, that could have been used for roads, schools, police, and subways, I think that’s a good deal.” - De Blasio

vs.

“We were subsidizing those jobs so for… the city was paying for those jobs. So frankly, if we were willing to give Amazon three…if we were willing to give away $3 billion for this deal, we could invest those $3 billion in our district ourselves if we wanted to. We could hire out more teachers, we could fix our subway…” - AOC

So she actually thought the state had $3B cash on hand to give to Amazon. And now that Amazon is gone the state can spend that money elsewhere… except the $3B doesn’t exist.

When De Blasio is the voice of reason AGAINST a progressive I know the end of times is near.

AOC is dangerous.

Cuomo too:

“A small group of politicians put their own narrow political interests above their community … the state’s economic future and the best interests of the people of this state,” Cuomo said in a statement… adding that those who opposed the plan should be “held accountable for the lost economic opportunity.”

TLDR: startups design business models around FB giving them access to certain data, then FB pulls accident to that data.

FB doing a thing…

Those signals include a wide range of on- and off-platform behavior. If you praise the wrong individual, interview them, or appear at events alongside them, Facebook may categorize you as a “hate agent.”

They reference a document but don’t link directly to it.

well that’s all of us.

48 state suit against FB.

The states are seeking to force Facebook to sell some of its acquisitions

:+1:

they say the stock price dropped today but if htey break up the 3 companies you’ll definitely want to hold that stock before the break up.

Soooooo… no Libra / Diem then?

The same should be done with Google and all the companies they continue to buy up. I was really upset to learn Google bought out Nest cameras.

I’m actually pretty happy with this. I have a few outdoor IP cameras with the face recognition and despite a few minor outages it’s been great.

agreed that google should be broken up before facebook.

in this case i really need to know the politics of each of the individuals driving the lawsuit in the various states.

from the senate hearings with google, FB, twitter etc. it was clear to me that Zuckerberg was the only one actually speaking genuinely. The others were simply speaking in platitude.

seems to me like FB could be targeting for actually standing up for themselves rather than just lying.

also, i dont believe you could really break up Insta, FB, Whatsapp anyways. They are so heavily integrated and similar where as Google’s products are much easier to separate.

further, in any break up of such a company, if you were to separate the 3 FB companies into different publically listed companies you would probably want to hold the stock prior to it because the split will open up quite a bit of shareholder value. i’d think you would at least be doubling your asset base with 3 separate listings.

1 Like

I’ll have to read more info the details on this but,

My problem with the cameras is that it wasn’t always detecting movement. I could literally walk past the camera and it wouldn’t record the motion. I bought in when it was 24hr recording for 5 days for $50 a year for 1 camera or $80 for 2. When Google bought them out, they changed the plans. (Thankfully I’m still on the old one) The new one was like $60 for as many cameras as you want but they only record when motion happens, no longer offering 24hour video recording. OR, you do the $120 and get the 24hr video and motion. Having 2 cameras and wanting to add a 3rd, I can’t now or it will change my plan to what I don’t want. If I go to the $120, I’m paying more than what I have currently for pretty much the same.
Just not a fan of how they changed it.