Broken oil pan bolt

few months back I was screwin around doing something I cant remember under the car and wanted to check if all the oil pan bolts were tight.
snapped a bolt accidently. not a huge problem because I was going to be putting a new pan on anyways since the current one has a “fix it plug” in it and its annoying when your changing oil ( takes forever )

there could be a little bit stickin out of the block when I take the pan off to grab with some channel locks but if not whats the next step to get the bolt out? I never seen any of those bolt extractors work very well. Just wondering if anyones got any tips if the bolt isnt grab-able

The e-z outs have worked on the bolts I’ve used them on. I’d try that first with some PB Blaster.

Or grind a groove into it and use a screwdriver.

Can’t you just toss it in the dumpster and get another one?

Seriously though…EZ-Outs work really well. I have a set if you want to try them.

ya the idea of grinding a groove and using a screwdriver popped in my head too

i grinded a slot in one on my head of the grand am and used a slotted screwdriver it worked perfect.

ya I hope that will work.

im just worried that there wont be enough thread sticking out to grind a slot

if worse comes to worst you can always throw a helicoil in there.

i’d say heat it up and try and grab it with visegrips but i’ve never heated a bolt so close to oil. i suppose if you wipe most of it away you won’t have any problems

So did you get it?

havent tried yet. had a wedding to go to. sometime soon I will

oil pan bolts are like 5ft/lbs… why would you be checking without a tq wrench and why tighten it enough to break a bolt? lol

all of the above ideas may work, i’d watch cutting for a flathead… i’ve broken bolts and cut them and broke them again and was forced to use heat and vise grips.

Unless the hole/bolt is corroded or the threads are mangled enough that they’re binding, it should come out easily since there’s no tension on it.

wouldnt is just be cheaper to buy a new car rather than changing the oil in it?

who cares about cheaper…I would just look at is as an excuse to junk theturd…and end the embarrassment of driving it.

:rofl: I’d never get rid of it. even if I hit the powerball I wouldnt. it would look a little funny sittin next to a ZR1 tho

it looks funny sitting next to a yugo

It would look less funny in a crusher. Only a little.