Buffalo/urban crime and murder

Im all for the removal of Genitalia for those types of offenders.

When I created this thread I didn’t mean to say you are stupid if you live in the city.
I am truely just reflecting on the fact that people are surrounded by murder and don’t seem phased by it.

I would be phased by it if someone got murdered in North Buffalo.

+198678568748

i would be phased by it if any one of my friends or their friends who lived in the city that i visit all the time had ever been robbed/raped/murdered/ect…

the worst thing that has happened to people i know who live on the west side is a few of them got their car broken into at night.

and yes, even though i live in the burbs i want to move into the city sooooo badly.

usually if shit goes bad you did somethign to deserve it.

X2… I feel really safe in N.Buffalo but Sunoco on Colvin and Hertle can be a little uncomfortable at times.

that place is ALWAYS fucking packed…i go there at like 2 or something in the morning on a monday to get a drink and like 30 people are waiting in line

I remember like 5 years ago I was standing in there and two guys came in with a shot guns and robbed the place. It was pretty exciting. After they left with the cash I bolted with out paying for my drink because I was scared shitless.

i do get your point. but of those 73 murders, how many were random slayings versus how many were related to some sort of drug/gang/provoked incident? if i lived within a 6 mile radius of 15 shootings, but all 15 were isolated to specific people, why should i fear for my life? if 4 out of those 15 were people walking up and down the street just shooting people, i would be a little more concerned.

Read my post #22, I tried to clear up what I was saying.
My point wasn’t “fear for your life”.
I guess it is more of a philisophical point about violence surrounding us.:slight_smile:

^^ correct, but i guess the point i tried to make in my last post was that i am not at all phased by those 73 murders because they werent innocent people just walking around and getting shot at. its bob shooting at joe because joe screwed bobs g/f, or joe owes bob money/drugs/whatever. let the assholes kill each other, its not my concern until little susie is walking home from elementary school and gets capped in the head.

If I lived in the city…I would just avoid the streets/areas that are known for high crime and violence. But I understand the point of this post…it is good to make people aware of what’s happening around them.

am i the only one who thinks that’s a low number?

Its not the worst Buffalo has ever had. About 10 years ago we had over 100.

Seems pretty low to me. I live in Baltimore and i wish it was that low. I know Buffalo is a small city but 73 doesn’t seem that high compared to others.

Is it that high?

That’s 1 homicide for about 3,900 residents.

As opposed to NYC–1 homicide per 14,000 residents.
Or Los Angeles–1 homicide per 9,600 residents.
Or Columbus, Ohio–1 homicide per 7,000 residents.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious.

:bsflag:

I’m gonna need to see proof of this one.
And this my point; you don’t think 73 people killed is bad as long as you can find worse numbers.
Is that how we should feel about this?

I feel less safe in suburbia than I do in Buffalo. :gotme:

I didn’t say 73 was good.

You don’t remember a few years ago, the news making a big deal about how we were in the 90’s and we may hit 100 in mid December? I think they actually provoked it.

EDIT: Sorry…it never hit 100

“Statistics show that living in Buffalo today is almost as dangerous as in 1994, when the city set its record for homicides - 92.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070104/1019735.asp

true, you get comfy cuz your not seeing ppl running down the streets shooting and all that. “usually if shit goes bad you did somethign to deserve it” i think this is so true. there might be those few occasions where someone get hits by a stray bullet or something.