Buffing my chrome wheels, suggestions please?

So I am going to buff out my Torq Thrust II wheels tomorrow, and I am not too certain on what I should use. I have the basic rubbing compounds in different grits, but is there anything better that I could use?

There are minor blemishes and marks that I am sure can be buffed out, no scratches…

Any suggestions would help, thanks everyone!

EDIT: nels confirmed they are polished aluminum, not chrome

http://i27.tinypic.com/9905ex.jpg

are they chrome or are they polished aluminum?

good question… i believe they are chrome… did the torq thrust II come with an optional finish?

No chrome at all on torq thrust, its polished billet. And there a bitch to keep that way, I had to sets on my gn and my nova. Ill never buy billet wheels again. I polished mine by hand, after a wash they always needed to be done again.

yes, i am not talking about polishing right now though, there are minor spots where it seems like a layer of something sits above the actual surface of the rim.

nels – would you suggest buffing this out? I could always just polish them but it will just cover what is there

Yes buff them, the wheels will look like chrome after. Also use a nice wax and coat each rim when your done, it helps them not dull so quick.

have them dismounted, polish the living shit out of them. Have someone clearcoat them professionally and bam. The finished product might not be as shiny as a fresh polish job but it will be damn close. Doing this will ensure no more buffing ever again

I had that done, a year later it was all comming off.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! The finish will haze underneath the clearcoat, then you will not be able to polish the wheel unless you strip the clear off and start all over again. And if you think polishing in the first place was a pain in the ass…

polish the shit out of them, then invest $$ into zoop seal. you shouldnt have to polish for up to 2 years. do NOT clear coat them. it will look like ass.

polishing sounds good to me, now is there a suggestion to a specific product?

nels – what substance should i use with the buffer? i have a nice wax that i use for finishing, but for buffing is there something specific i should lean towards?

juicedgt-- what is zoop seal? i have never heard of it

I like using Mothers aluminum wheel polish. My dad’s car has the same wheels and I had great results on those.

x2 on polish and zoop seal…I have wet sanded, 120, 320, 600, 800 grit. Then use triopi on Al, and then use white rouge to mirror finish, then seal it.
Juiced GT also posted some pics of Al he has polished, interested in what he does.

I use caswell for some great info…

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

its a lot of work, but when its done looks awesome

:word: :word: :word:

Mother’s aluminum polish. THE PASTE. Not the crap in the bottle. this is in a little canister.
Here’s some results with it.
Also note both of these polished pieces are NOT polished stock.

Start with some rubbing compound?

My gn had billet specialty wheesl on it and i always showed it. This was the best way to get them like chrome, Im also nutts and took at leat 30 min to an hour on each wheel, even did the inside. Anyway i started out with x-treem metal polish you use this by hand. Its kind of like never dull but way better. K&S sells this. I would finished off with my 2" orbital buffer with meguiars hot rims mag and aluminum polish. The final effect is mind blowing! Remember to wash the rims very good first and do not try to polish dirty rims or you will scratch the hell out of them. Im around today if you have any more ?'s.
ps: use some good selaer wax to keep them shiny for at least a couple weeks.

Pat - is that one of james’ wheels?

After winter storage this is what the wheel still looked like.

Before a car show.

I also stipped the clear off my iroc wheels and by hand polished them really quick.

Just want to add in that I’ve had good experience with the Power Ball and PB Mini here. Start on the low speeds first though.