Building a new system...have some questions

This is costing me like $2200. I don’t really wanna spend money if I don’t need to. I think I can handle it. Unless you wanna do it for free and do sound deadening as well. lol.

Why do you think you need a cap in the first place? Don’t get it, and put the money towards a better amp then that audiobahn crap.

It’s not that I NEED a cap. From what I understand, it stores power for when a device needs it (if I have it cranked up and a hard bass note happens). I figure it’s good to have.

What’s wrong with that amp? Specs look fine on it. I got it for $50 (BNIB). Couldn’t go wrong.

Get a nice class D amp and you wont need the cap.

Okay I just read up on the classes. The Audiobahn is class A/B. I’ll probably end up upgrading down the road to something like this (click here) but since I have the amp already I’ll just use it. I’ll see how it sounds. Remember, I’m not building a crazy system.

As for the cap, I don’t know why you guys are so against caps in this particular installation. It’s got one clear benefit…it stores power for future use. Being that it is relatively inexpensive, I think everyone should have one regardless of the system they are building.

I got 2 - 1 farad rockford caps, I need a better alternator and at one point i was running a 1800W RMS ma audio class d, with 2 15"s. Caps are good they reduce the instant amperage draw from your alternator and that will save the alternator’s voltage regulators.

Yeah. I plan on getting a red top, doing the big three, and upgrading the main engine ground as well.

This is all gona go down one saturday when I have everything.

I’m sure that Audiobahn amp will work fine for your highs, it’s just a low quality piece. As for the cap, it’s just a band aid fix. Your system is so mild that your OEM electrical system will power it fine. Play the system for someone with and without the cap, they won’t know the difference. Don’t tell them which config that they are listening to, either.

Don’t waste your money of a different battery either. However, upgrading your batt to chassis and chassis to engine, and alt to battery connections can’t hurt.

Did you actually pay 300 bucks for that subwoofer deal? You could have gotten something WAY more powerful for that money or a little more (price of the cap). I’m sure it’ll sound nice, but it’s not going to hit very hard at all, esp in a car with a trunk.

I’ll demo my system for you that I paid about 1300 for total, shopping wisley and picking up some used stuff@crackhead prices:) It’s still kinda in the ghetto stages, but I could care less in my daily driver.

I haven’t bought the sub/amp yet. I do have the same one from a year ago that I got for $100 on Ebay. It had no warranty and something happened to it so it’s just a huge paper weight now, but while it worked it was fantastic. It hits plenty enough for my tastes. I’ll be buying from Crutchfield with warranty, so if anything happens, I’ll be covered. I definitely think it’s worth the money…it’s quite a nice sub for being so compact.

I don’t want anything taking up a crap load of space in my trunk, that’s why I’m going with that one again.

you dont really NEED a cap, but it doesnt hurt to have. leave him be, guys.

Totally useless on a 300W system. Just trying to save him some money.

$65 is okay for me to spend on something that has benefit and only benefits. It won’t hurt to have, so why not have one.

I’m spending $1600 on a head unit, I think I can spare $65. lol.

I have the 9-wire whenever you want to grab it…

Okay cool. Hopefully sometime this week coming up.

mm-hm, i realize that. but caps dont cost all that much. plus he said he wanted some blue light in there. at least it’s more usefull than an led stripe or some neons

lol you people kill me.

I don’t want a cap just because of blue lights. I want it because it doesn’t hurt to have. Plain and simple. What the hell is so hard to understand about that?

shrug idk. but like i said, grab one. theyre not much and it wont hurt ur system. i bought mine for like 30 shipped and its been working perfectly fine ever since. the voltage display on them is 99% useless as far as funtinoality goes, unless its dash mounted so u can see the damn thing

That’s like putting a 2nd blow off/bypass valve on a stock turbo car. Sure, it’s not going to hurt anything, but it’s not going to do you any good either.