Burning oil..help wanted

any suggestions on how to fix this problem without ripping apart the engine…any help is appreciated…thanks

What kind of car?

well it all starts out when you need to first take all oil out of said car … run this said car for atleast 4 hours
refill with correct oil and eveything should be fixed no more burning oil

98 civic

do a leakdown and compression test. Could be a bad valve seat or fried rings

miles? last oil change?

Its probably either rings or valve seals unless you have a turbo. If its valve seals you only have to half rip apart the engine, if its rings then you will be taking the engine out. You need to do a leakdown test to determine the cause of the problem.

thanks for the help. got 105k, change oil on regular basis…common in hondas so i hear

Cheap things first: PCV?

Do not use gimmic additives

Without ripping apart the engine…

Engine swap!

Being serious, if it’s burning oil there is no external magic fix. As stated you have to figure out why it’s burning oil and fix that problem which will involved tearing it apart to some degree.

mechanic in a can FTMFW

just dump some 90w in the crankcase

my money is on rings. Ive seen several hondas where the owner never changed the oil on time and the oil rings get completely seized in the ringlands with gunk. The engine will run good and youll still have good mileage and power, but itll go through oil about a qt every 150-250 miles. It wont hurt it to drive it if this is the case, ive seen them go a long time like this, usually until the number 2 or 3 cyl exhaust valve cracks up falls apart into the cylinder.

flush it out with water

edit: [sarcasm] flush it out with water [/sarcasm]

ok, like stated before, a good place to start would be a compression test followed by a leakdown if compression #'s look shitty. Call Paul or Rich at swerve motorsports 685-8600 and they’ll set you up with an appointment. We are open Saturdays 12-4 and mon-fri 11-? (usually like 7 or 8). If you’d like I can also do it for you on Sunday (but mention this on the phone with paul or rich) because I’ll be there doing a job already.
-Andy

i agree with ya but i wouldnt put lucas oil in that class, me and lots of customers at valvoline have had great success with it, never a drop low on my dipstick at any oil change =)

also, the OP never stated what kind of losses are taking place, if its a quarter of a quart a month, its normal on most cars and popular mechanics can back me up on that, if its a quart a day then yes something is wrong, but if its slow lucas may help it

thamks ill look into to it somemore. its away for the winter, so ill see what i can do with it. as for swerve ms ive been there a couple times and am pleased with there work

:word:.

it probably couldn’t hurt to run some top engine cleaner through it which is designed to loosen up stuck oil rings and de-carbon everything else

a good penetrant like pb blaster works well also, make sure if you go this route you use something with lubricating properties and not straight gasoline/kerosene/etc so the next time you turn the engine over its not dry metal to metal

I’d check anything related to PCV or air-oil-sep etc (not sure how that engine is setup) as there could just be oil vapor introduced to the combustion chambers from other places, not just blow-by via the rings. Granted, it probably IS piston rings but start cheap / external and THEN tear into the case. Doing a compression test (and if that passes w/ flying colors, a leakdown test) would be wise…