Buying a car out of state?

I’m sure people like Jammer and Ryan would be able to help me with this. I’ve found a car I’ve wanted to get for a long time, but it’s down in PA. I’d have someone drive me there and I’d drive the new car back, but the problem is how can I do that legally? I’ve debated just putting random plates on there, but I don’t wannt get pulled over and get the car impounded and all that other good shit. So I’d need a temporary plate, I think? Someone help!

If you already bought it…have the guy over night mail you the title (SIGNED!) and fill out the paperwork and go to DMV and get your plates.

Transit permit is another options…but I dunno if you’d be able to get that.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#temporary

Couple ways it can be done.

1. Trailer it back.
  2. Hire someone to transport it ($$$)
  3. Borrow someone dealer/transporter plate and drive it back.

Well I’d wanna check the car out in person before I threw any money at the guy. From the pics, it looks minty though.

Do NOT borrow plates from someone lol.

If you get pulled over…say bye bye to those plates. Unless you’re on the registration of those plates as a driver. Anyone other than the dealer, typically, is not allowed to drive with those plates.

I think some other states offer temporary registration? Not sure if PA is one of them, but if they did… that’d work, right?

Right. If there’s snow on the ground though, I can’t drive it back. I might just offer someone money to borrow their truck/trailer for the day.

Well first, youd want to get a temp insurance card for the transport, then you can apply for a temp registration from the NY DMV to transport the car back

so you gonna tell us what it is or is it a super secret?

You can register the car in pa with transit plates that are good for 30 days. You have to go to a notary. My friend Mike did it when he bought his gsx from pa. Its really easy to do and very convient

PA does offer transit permits…but I dunno how easy it is to get one. My brother in law used to be a car dealer in Philly…he transported my brothers Maxima up here that way…and my moms Subie.

It’s a mint 93 Honda Civic CX. New track car. I just don’t want the wheel wells rusting.

drive it back and hit up the closest car wash to your house on the way back and then park it… should be fine

ask that person if you can borrow their plates and mail them back, offer to give him a deposit until you return the plates, ive done this a couple times and it worked fine.

Well the guy is a dealer, so I dunno how well that’ll work.

I wish i still had my truck, I’d have told you to rent a trailer and we coulda went. I heart road trips. In any event transport plates are the way to go if he’s a dealer he should be able to hook that up for you. The dealer I picked up a truck from in Texas had everything all set. Flew in, drove it home.

Like I said, I don’t wanna drive it if I don’t have to. I want it to go straight from his parking lot to my garage.

A civic huh? :shifty

I call b/s

Just get the transit/temp tags. Its real easy. Ill call hatefield and ask him what he had to do

Temp tags suck in NY. Just go get it with a trailer and make it 1000% easier.