Buying a snowmobile in Canada, PITA?

Found a nice sled for a great price from a private seller in hamilton. How much of a pain is it to buy one from canada and get it registered in the US. Do they have titles the same way taht we do? How about customs, once i bring it back over the border are there any fees?

When i bought my gixxer from an ontario dealer a few years back they did all the bs, now im just trying to figure out what i have to do and how much it will cost to get the sled across the border and registered. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Very easy when I purchased my 2 jetskis, you don’t pay any GST or PST in canada and you don’t pay any customs fees either, however you pay tax when you register it with the NYDMV other than that it is the same thing. Just declare it and you won’t have a problem

Good deal, thanks Jay. :tup:

It’s suprisingly easy actually. They kinda sneak in under NYS radar and you don’t really get raped. Lots of people go to Canada to buy sleds. “Canadian miles” on a sled are supposedly like highway miles on a car. I don’t really buy into that BS, but some people do. Mileage on sleds is actually meaningless as far as I’m concerned. If it’s taken care of (suspension greased, maintained properly, good compression) mileage doesn’t matter.

:frowning: i want a sled sooo bad

Ok different people are telling me different things as far as what i need to get the sled registered. What paperwork do i need to get it registered in my name? Ive been told just the bill of sale, but ive also had someone else tell me I must have the previous owners registration because theres a part on there to sign over to my name? :confused: Or do sleds just have titles like any car would? Help!

my seld has 9,xxx kilometers, all canadian of course, its the best used sled i’ve ever bought, all you have to do with skidoos is change the imput to the speedometer( the other connection is there, you jsut have to move the cable) and it reads in MPH.

Thanks man but im not worried about that, im trying to figure out what paperwork i need to get it registered in my name on Monday.

call DMV, pita but usually the best idea if your i doubt.

Yeah just checked out the website, looks like I will just need a bill of sale and proof of ownership like any car from here :gotme: I think I will just tell the guy im buying from to bring all his paperwork, and i can sort it all out when i get to the dmv, just in case they give me a headache. Just wanna make sure its ready to go on monday, ive got a hot date with 99LS1VERT that i dont wanna miss http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/87FOXGT/hugsmiley.gif

coo, you should bring that bitch down to springville so i got someone to f’n ride with…what kind did you buy? and what size?

I may end up doin that with a buddy who has a nice enclosed trailer. If i do I will let you know :smiley: Sounds like fun to me :slight_smile: Oh its a 94 ski doo mach 1. Check my other thread i have a pic of it in there. Leavin now to pick it up :slight_smile:

hows the trails down in springville with this warm weather? planning to trailer down there next week to ride.

dont know…havnt been there since wed. i live in lackawana with a buddy, sno-mobile is kept at my moms house, ill tell ya tomarrow…but we had a shitload of snow down there so…

drove through springville today, didn’t look too good from the road, although I did see a couple sleds in the morning.

So almost 10 years later, anyone know the process of buying a used sled in Canada, bringing it over the border, and registering it here.

Apparently Jay does.

To be clear, not this Jay.

I know when importing a sled from US to CA you have to send required documentation to the border port of entry atleast 72 hours prior to export. They do this to verify VIN information. If you don’t you will be stuck having to leave the sled at the border for 3 days with the documentation until it clears.

I imagine going from CA to US there will be something similar. I would call both US and CA agencies to get 100% accurate information on documentation needed as well as the local DMV for if they will need any extra documentation above and beyond standard transfer for registration.

Can any border bro’s on here chime in?

@paulb , @XwalkerX

?