buying cams from pdm racing - spec help please

hey guys i want to try and get cam machined at pdm racing for my sohc ka

i am looking at this option

C404.H - Strong performer, with good midrange pull to redline. O.K. with automatics. Our strongest seller with the most smiles! {Intake 268 degrees duration, .441 valve list, Exhaust 272 degrees duration, .447 valve lift.} (note: requires cam towers to be milled .025")

$180 + $250 core charge

two things i dont understand:

1. core charge ? - do i still have to pay it if i send in my own camshaft ?
  2. note: requires cam towers to be milled .025" ? im n00b and i dont know what a cam tower is, i probably seen it im just not sure what it is, is it the ends of my camshaft ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

its where the cam rests, im pretty sure this means taking your head off and sending it out to get machined. but not 100%.

Yea I believe the 250$ core charge you get back when you send them your cam.

Looks like a good setup that will sound dirty i love it

Honestly , I had the same problem , I am also looking into purchasing a cam for my sohc ka but didnt like the idea of milling the cam tower . I wanted a aftermarket cam that can just drop in ( So that In case I dont like , I can always go back to stock without pulling the entire head )
I was also having a hard time locating a machine shop capable of doing a simple milling job in the GTA .
If anyone has more information , please let us know . I have an extra cam in my spare motor ready to ship out

yea i was thinking the same thign sasha, i wonder if its a part of the head or if it can be removed, i have a spare head all in all maybe i’ll just work with that

yeah im in the same situation, i got a whoel spare head, im planning on doing camshaft, stiff valve springs, new valves (obviously seals), maybe new valve guides, probably not gonna port and polish i dont want to lose response, and i was wondering, how does a solid oil lifter conversion work ?

guys, go on ka-t.org gladman is selling a C404.H for 250 i think…
so i think there’s 5 guys on here for ka24et
andrew
myself
alesserfate
papapump-scott
absolum.

how much power are you guys planning on making.

just to clear things up, cam towers ARE a part of the cam, and also two removable pieces as on this pic i just stopped being lazy, went down to my basement and took

http://xs57.xs.to/pics/05481/DSC03700.JPG
Free Image Hosting [xs.to]

as you can see the cam tower consists of 4 pieces, two are a part of the head mould and two are on top

btw… whys there so much shit (dirt) all over the place

So they are using stock cams and regrinding them, this is the reason for the milling of the cam towers.
You have to do this because they are reducing the diameter of the base circle on the cam.
So, to make up for the loss in the diameter of the cam, you have to lower the rocker shafts (not sure on the proper terminology there, sorry) to be .025" closer to the cam to get the desired lift on the valve.
Once the cam towers are milled (milling the cap surface where it meets the cam ‘cradle’), you are going to have to get the cam bearing journals line bored aswell I am thinking unless you lower the rocker shafts on the cam bearing caps (ie: machining the surface where they mount on the towers).

So, it may be a little more involving than just a simple mill job.

If someone can make sense of that and clarify, be my guest.

this one is supposed to be direct bolt in

C.406 - mild performance upgrade, that wakes up any stock engine with good emissions results, and good in automatics. {Intake 260 degrees duration, .424 valve lift, Exhaust 268 degrees duration, .441 valve lift.}

comparison:
STOCK - {Intake 251 degrees duration, .415 lift; Exhaust 258 degrees duration, .415 lift.}

C.406 - {Intake 260 degrees duration, .424 valve lift, Exhaust 268 degrees duration, .441 valve lift.}
C404.H - {Intake 268 degrees duration, .441 valve list, Exhaust 272 degrees duration, .447 valve lift.}
C.404.HTurbo - {Intake 268 degrees duration, .441 valve list, Exhaust 272 degrees duration, .447 valve lift.}

between the 406 and the 404 difference is mainly in the lift and in the intake, what effects will this have on the performace ?, exhaust in the 404 just allows the exhaust gases to flow faster

i just want to wake up the sohc a little at the high end by reducing the valve float with stiffer springs and having a stronger performing camshaft

he he… its easy to do… any machine shop can do it…

i have 2 of thier cams (colt cams supplies PDM)

custom turbo cam,
and the biggest cam… for NA as well…

I have the 503 lift 300 duration cam for sale… BTW

re: machining,

you take off teh cam towers snd get them milled down… cost me $60 for a machine shop to do

My goal is 250 HP , I am already at 200 so adding the cam and raising the boost and getting it tuned proprelly and I will be set :lol: .

Adam just answered your question Vlad. I know a good machine shop thats just down the street from you in Aurora. I get my work done there, just message me and I’ll get you their number Vlad.

I’m not happy till I’m making 350-400whp on a properly built motor like Adam is.

Andrew.

at the rate you’re going there wont be ANY rb25 turbo’s left on the planet by the time you get there :stuck_out_tongue:

what kind of specs in terms of lift, duration, etc, is good for n/a and what is good for turbo, i think someone should explain this so we can all understand, please.
btw thanks andrew i’ll talk to you on msn tonight

NA= bigger lift and duration
turbo= big lift…less duration

pretty much