CA18DET

Hey guys,

I’m not trying to start a banter thread about engines and their quality or anything. Just for general info I was interested in knowing who on this forum is running a ca18det in their car. Whether it is an s12, sentra, or s13. Just wanted to find out how many people on here have em. I’m currently running one. Stock trim with a field chipped ecu at 10lbs of boost. Have yet to get her dynoed. Just finished my swap. On my second engine because I put a rod through the bottom of my first ca at cayuga this fall.

P.S. Sorry if this isn’t the correct section just thought it would be placed here. Thanks.

get rid of the CA as soon as you possibly can and never speak about having owned one ever.

Please guys no negative banter. Not what I’m after right now. Just wanna know who’s got one.

I am also interested in this subject. I’ve been looking at getting one but still kinda on the fence.

i think there kinda cool because they are like mini Rb’s with more HP then a KA. I like the CA. Its different.

I owned that blue hatch before, saw it getting trailered from CSCS, Go SR.

Its just not worth the headaches for a slower motor

Yea I blew it up on the saturday.

I quite enjoy my little ca. It does what it needs to do. Good intro to boost and all. Can’t wait for the track season to start again so I can really see how she is. Just gotta relearn the track in rwd.

The CA’s have a lot of potential as seen mainly in europe, pushing enough loads of power like 700hp+ for example.
I’ve been in one with some modifications, including a mines ecu and the sr turbo as replacement which bumps it closer to sr spec, they have high redline to start off and they can go for -.2 of displacement lol.

Just that they’re older, harder to find parts for, and can run into some reliability problems. Else, they’re good motors!
As for putting a rod thru the motor, as for all our motors, they need to be properly oiled with good oil and weight… but thrashing it on the track can be risky scenario either way.

Ive owned a ca for the past 6 years with absolutely no headaches or problems. Like any other older engine, replacing worn parts and proper maintenance is key!

Mods?^

Ca is tougher to find parts for. But 99% of the parts are interchangeable with the Pulsar NX offered here in NA. So finding parts really isnt that much of a headache.

Cool fact^^

Ya the rod through the pan is the cost of tracking a car a week after you bought it. And less then 12 hours after you plated it. Lol. But that’s half the fun. Finally got to taking the block apart. And oh god what a mess that rod made down there.

Back to the topic. I still wanna know who’s got one. To my count on this thread 3 including me.

I had one until today, just sold he car to another member