calling all son'alings for a poll

so heres what my thoughts are…

I currently have a nissan 180sx with a ca18det. I also have a near complete sr20det in my garage.

I’ve been contemplating swapping the sr20det in to the 180.

Here’s the pro’s and con’s of each that I can think of…

ca18det:

Pro’s: 41000 original km’s, very clean motor, and pull’s very hard. Also the motor is already in the car so no work needed.

Cons: a bit harder to make power on and parts availablity has already proven to be a major headache.

sr20det:

pro’s: easier to make power and source parts for. motor is already in my posession so ti would not have to be puirchased or ordered.

cons: motor hasn’t been fired for about 7-8 months which kinda worries me. aprts would be needed such as a fuel rail and injectors, and the swap would need to be done which = time and money.

I’ve also considered the following…

• ive tried to sell the sr20det for months now with little luck.
  • i may have more luck trying to sell a ca18det with a spare tranny due to motor being proven, clean, and strong.

I should also mention that im not looking for huge power numbers. I have decided I would be satisfied with 220-240 hp. As of late, power has not been my interest.

so my question is…

which do you think i should do?

Since the CA18DET is already in there… you might as well keep it. Try to sell the SR for cheap maybe… and then use that money on a GT28RS and maybe some injectors and a MAF. And I think you’ll have a pretty nice setup there. :slight_smile:

You save yourself quite a bit of time anyways.

the money generated from selling either of these two has to go to debt’s (school and mom)

so no portion of the sale will further my project.

i should also mention that the car is put away for the winter. so i have about 4 months beofre it see’s road again.

dont fuck around with it, just leave it…ever wonder why 90% of the stock sr20 cars run better than the swapped ones?

that and all the CA parts can be had at partsource or ct.

Don’t do anything, hold onto both, till maybe next year-ish, then sell me the CA for cheap and put in the SR :lol:

I voted for keep the CA btw, it’s in there already, and it’s a BETTER motor.

put in the sr20

dont fuck with it…

yes an SR is better than a CA… CA is pretty much poo… but its already in there, its got low mileage, there are no problems with it.

get an SR turbo or maybe a GT28R and stick that on there with some bigger injectors and an SAFC or something simple and make it a bit faster… other than that… just chill.

CA FTW

fux all of the CA haters… bing ;[

keep the CA.

as someone already posted, parts can be bought locally for cheap, the internals are solid, and face it, it’s a 4-cylinder RB. i’m prepping one right now for my S14. should be in around april, hopefully.

ever cross-reference the head internals between the CA18 and the RB26? valvetrain is the same i believe.

besides, you don’t need big power for big drift. take it from this guy.

S13 running a CA18DET. standard injectors, standard AFM, Apexi turbo, 180rwkw (241hp).

errr, what the hell am i saying. it’s a piece of shit, sell it to me for cheap. i could use a spare. 8)

I vote to always add a “Don’t care” option on all SON polls.

I vote CA so that it’ll take you till 3rd gear to pass me in my n/a KA.

*look for Jesse to post here with a buttload of excuses… hehe.

Theo

i’d keep tha CA18DET but thats me and i like tha CA. how much are you going to sell tha CA for? im interested!

just for that u should put your SR in it :wink:

i hate cars

its funny cause all of you who speak good of the ca have no ca experience

if you want to feel like a honda owner. Go ahead and play with your 1.8 peice of poop

WOW! That’s going to be SLOW!!

Don’t forget CA chassis cars are more than 100 pounds lighter than ours and come with a shorter final gear. Only two things that makes it driveable, which A LOT of people over look.

If your goals are 220 - 240 hp stick with the CA, after that it’s like running in sand.

As you will notice, most people who hype CAs are people who have yet to have one and realise their mistake.

so apple, jesse, you two are against the ca i take it.

i posted the original question because if i chose to swap, now would be the opportune time.

As Jesse says, nothing sticks better than the stock glue.

Andrew.

In your situation no, you have a lighter car, the better rear diff, and you only want to make 220 - 240 hp which wont be hard. I would stick with the CA. Also the SR you have looks tired.