My CA18DET 240 build thread

Just starting my build thread. I guess this is kind of an intro thread too but ill be updating this frequently with pics/progress.

I bought a 240sx with the intention to swap and build it. I then got accepted into school so i had to put that all on hold. That was over five years ago. I’m now 2 months (3 courses) away from graduating from mechanical engineering at the u of a so hopefully that was worth it (i even got to take a “turbomachinery” tech elective :rolleyes:) . So glad to finally get back into it!

Pics to come asap… :oops:

you and me both brudda…

…only I’m playing the CA18DET tune in your older brother the S12.

CA18ET?

no no no, there’s a CA18ET in there already, I’m swaping in the CA18DET.

hi oh … you have sparked my interest.

Ummmm…

Don’t get mad or anything, but once you get a job, you probably can afford something a little better than a ca18det. I’m a mece (in fourth year 3 semesters to go) and I know that you will regret doing a swap like this (most likely). At least do an sr20, if not better. I never realized how “interesting” of a swap a ca18det until I saw the one dsm_austin bought. Its a small engine (1.8L!!! :vom: ) and a small turbo. I don’t know much about the swap but I’m guessing it costs about as much in the end as an sr (parts to add and install), and the sr has more aftermarket support (you say your going to build it).

Again, I’m not being a dick, just maybe reconsider your options. Because I know cash flow shouldn’t be that limited in your situation.

Sorry for the lecture, just my 2 cents.

I don’t understand why swapping a 2.4 for a 1.8 is good. I know you have a ca right now, but come on.

Doing the 4.5 year plan just like me? haha its the way to go.

With regards to something “better” than a CA, define better :D. I’m not looking to own the fastest 240sx in edmonton, i just want to pick up where i left off when i started this hobby 5 or so years ago. Yes it’s easier to find parts for the SR. Yes it has more displacement. Of course the stock ca t25 is garbage, its just that, STOCK!! I’m going to build it up, not leave it in stock trim. I dont want this to turn into a CA vs SR vs RB thread though. They are all great engines each with their own advantages and disadvantages. I just happened to fall in love with the CA instead of the SR… However i dont think id want to do anything more complicated like an RB swap because I’m doing this all myself. Are you doing that rb swap on your own? Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I’ll admit i havent really done my research from the RB side of things. I just assumed something like an RB25 swap would be a lot more complicated than a CA/SR one (in my garage) :).

i wanna swap srt4 into s13.

Post part numbers and where you get your parts… can’t wait to see this build.

agreed

I think your highly underestimating the ca18det. Stock yes… they aren’t very robust. But they came with crappy turbos…on another note… iron block… better head design than sr. I think with a bigger turbine,supporting mods,good tune,metal headgasket and head bolts… a ca is nothing to laugh at. They take a while to get going… but at around 3800-4000… depending on the turbo… they rev like a bat out of hell. They also cost less than an sr.

Once again… can’t wait to see how this turns out.

I think your highly underestimating the ca18det. Stock yes… they aren’t very robust. But they came with crappy turbos…on another note… iron block… better head design than sr. I think with a bigger turbine,supporting mods,good tune,metal headgasket and head bolts… a ca is nothing to laugh at. They take a while to get going… but at around 3800-4000… depending on the turbo… they rev like a bat out of hell. They also cost less than an sr.

Once again… can’t wait to see how this turns out.[/quote]

I will believe it when I see it :roll: just put an sr in it already

I will believe it when I see it :roll: just put an sr in it already

X2

The swap is done and I installed it myself. Only thing I didn’t do is the wiring (and if you I guess you could say I didn’t make the engine mounts, but come on)

The only thing really hard about the rb swap, imo, is figuring out where all the money went at the end of the swap… seriously.

Can’t wait to see some pics! :partyman:

Nicely done… What mount kit did you use? I’ve heard the tophat ones arent so great (specifically the tranny mount)… Did you get a custom driveshaft?

I got rob (garage s13 is his sig) made them. They’re clones of mckinney’s and cost less than half, I actually got them for $250. Its funny, autodream sells those exact mounts for like $400. Ridic mark up if you ask me.

Custom driveshaft done by Charchun welding - awesome job. Its right beside Alberta driveline too.

I hate when people start suggesting that a certain engine is inferior to another without knowing power goals, usage applications, among other things. If this car is intended to be a fun daily driver or a 250-300 hp autocross car, a CA can be a lot of fun. The CA block is very stout as well, and with a little looking, aftermarket parts are readily available. If someone were to tell me to put an RB in my s13 without knowing what i was using it for, id be a little annoyed. I would not need the displacement, nor the extra front end weight, maybe hes the same. Just my thought.

I’m not saying the RB swap is for everyone, it definately isn’t. I just want him to search to see his options. The CA is a good engine without a doubt, I guess I’ve been brainwashed on how nice the SR and I lots of people who swear by them. I haven’t looked into the differences between the SR and the CA, its just the SR seems more appealling to me (I like seeing more displacement, personally, but that doesn’t mean everyone does). Just giving my opinion that’s all.