ca18

Does the ca18 bolt right in for a 89 240sx, and is the wiring difficult, thanks

stupid question yes it does bolt in, and wiring arent that difficult.

SImple search

badass little motor but sadly lacking in the aftermarket goodies.

Lacking, how so? What can you get for a SR that you can’t get of a CA18?

Don’t worry, he’s talking through experience…

93 240sex, you do own a CA18, right?

HAHAHAHA … oh man… hahhaha.

You can’t get rocker arm stoppers!!!

You don’t need them, but hey … you can’t get 'em.

Only problem with the CA is they are old. The newest one you could hope to come across is going to be close to 20 years old.

And probably out of some Polish dude’s flipped car.

But damn they sound sexy.

^ you really think so?
I find they sound like a b18 honda motor.

Yeah, if you get a CA from the EU they came in 200sx’s up to 1993. Last year in Japan was 90 for the Silvia so they’d be 16-17 year old motors. Not unlike our SOHC’s and OBDI DOHC’s…

Face it, if your going to run an OEM motor from the S13 chassis, the motors will be old. (Newest being 1998 SR20’s)

I’ve heard the cost to rebuild a CA18DET is cheaper then a SR20DET. Anyone care to clarify?

all CA parts can be bought from partsource or canadian tire, well minus the cas and coilpacks.

when i had my s13 i looked into it.

Exactly, most parts are literally off the shelf. Except for the exhaust manifold, and a few other bits, but the aftermarket is there for those parts. Coilpacks can be pirated.

Yeah, CA’s do have a bit of that Honda sound, but that comes from its mechanical valvetrain and high exhaust velocity with tuned runners, and of course small displacement.

Maybe also because it sounds identical to my old SOHC CA up to about 5,000rpm, then you really hear the air start to move.

Not a big power motor, but in a small light car, they’re a hell of a lot of fun to pound on.

SRs sound like a fat guy clearing his throat to me. They just lack that “snarl”.

Wow, I stand corrected. I just read alot of threads where the SR fanboys slam on the CA for being so old and aftermarket parts not being as readily available. I didn’t actually look into it myself. I give myself a big -1 for blindly listening to others. I was considering the SR, CA, or VG to swap in, and the CA is in the lead right now. I like the relative uniqueness of it, the price, the head design, and the iron block. I do not need to have massive horsepower and torque. 175 is more than enough for now. I can’t justify swapping out my KA yet though, since it is still running strong. However, if something were to happen to it … … …

Who still makes performance aftermarket parts for CAs?? Better yet, who still sells them??

just throw in the lil 1.3L engine… it kicks ass

if it were up to me you could have the ca18 piece of wood that is in my buddies car. unfortunately he likes his 130 whp motor with upgraded turbo that would make close to 280 in an sr.

Problem is people have no knowledge of engines. People just go this part will give me this much power. So they get a engine with less aftermarket support they don’t know what to do. Like cams it’s hard to find for the CA’s now. Solution is regrinds, but how many people really know anything about cam durations and lift. How much overlap they want. What effect is the cams going to have on exhaust temp. Exhaust temps can reduce or increase spool time. Lack of knowlegde is why people stay away from CA’s. SR has a 86mm bore and stroke. CA’s 83mm bore and stroke. How much more power you think ypu extra 3mm is going to get you? It’s clear that boost pressures is going to push both engines past 100% efficiency. Do the math and figour out the swept volume for both engines and you find the extra power the SR makes isn’t from it’s .2 extra of liter. I would lean more to intake manifold design and runner length.

i would have to say what he said. none the less is the truth of some Serious research and knowledge.

I’m so sick of people debating about this. Shut up with the “its better than an SR, iron block, yada yada yada.” In the end, it comes down to preference, afterall, how many people here are pushing over 500whp in an SR… and how many people are pushing over 500whp in a CA arouind here?

It’s almost like me saying that my penis might be smaller than yours when it’s not erect… but when it’s erect… it’ll be twice as big as yours. But I can never get it erect.

By know means am I say any engine is better. I’m just mainly making my point, that there is more to making power than boost pressures, displacements, slapping parts on, and ignition timing. Mark you post is usless as usual. Out of your 2000 post, I can say maybe one or 2 of them people proberly could have benifited from.