ca18 / sr20?

so im looking into getting a 180sx in the summer. I was looking around and all of them have the CA18 engine, is this a good engine? and if not, where can i find a 180sx with the SR20?

The 180sx didn’t start having the Sr20’s in them until 91. As far as I know the CA is a decent motor, haven’t really heard of that many complaints, the only thing I think that most ppl choose an SR over the CA is the amount of power they can handle!!

Depending on your use, both engines are good choices. But as with anything you can’t replace displacement. There is 2.0 CA kits available though.

CA and SR can handle similar amounts of power and are pretty much identical in terms of modification options … it is just preference and education of the buyer … buying a CA will save you some money off the start but will take some knowledge to source some decent mods for it but and SR is pretty much the common engine people go with as it is well known and trusted

Ya, I was just going to say. The SR is probably easier to get parts for if you plan on modding the thing.

so how much would you figure a decent sr20 engine would be to buy, my brother in law can install it for me, but how much do you figure the engine itself costs??

Depends where you go. Anywhere from 1000-2000.

1000 bucks? where are u getting ur sr20s???

Whoops, I thought he said install, not engine. Engines range from 2000-2500 for a redtop.

CA cant handle as much power as SR ?!

Iron Block > Pop Can Aluminum block … :stuck_out_tongue:

2.0L > 1.8L Both are great engines though. I wanted to do the CA swap, but since there was only a small difference in price between it and the SR, I opted for the SR.

i love both engines!!! the ca18 is just as good as the sr20! the bottom end on the ca18 is a brick just like the sr20, if u get cams and a bigger turbo 300HP is very easy to come by! the only thing that seperates the 2 for me is the sr20 looks much sexier then the ca18! the damn ca18 has an oilpan that looks like the one off of a sundance or a shadow :S EEWWW!!! but other thant that both motors have allot of potential…my 2 cents!

in my experience, some days I wish I bought a sr20. with the t28 turbo upgrade it increased the amount of lag and compared to my friends ca18, its horrible when it is daily driven.

Personally I love the ca18 but, i am leaning towards the darkside right now (the sr20) mainly because upgrades are cheaper and there are so many options. sure you save a bit with a ca18 but in the long run, its easier to get sr20 parts (aftermarket and oem). Plus the sr20 does look alot better under the hood. but ca18 upgrades, you have to look towards getting them from japan seeing how most distributers here don’t give a damn about the ca18.

where did everyone get their SR’s from? speedworks im guessing… anyone know roughly how much it would be for an s14 sr?

thanks

You’d have to pull apart an SR20DET to know why they can take more abuse… The block is a bloody work of art. Not that the CA18DET is no slouch, as they can handle the power as well. (obviously)

Give Neil a call for a price quote:
447-3282
Al’s Auto Salvage / Speedworks Racing Development