CA18DET or SR20DET

alright, since i can’t find information on any posts like this, I’d like some feedbback from anyone on this website.

Which engine is better and WHY? (No “Oh because SR20DET is prettier”, actual reasons behind it would be nice)
What are the specs on each engine?
Which can support more power in the end?
Which is cheaper to maintain/run?

although there are 8127348973 threads on this I dont hate because its good info. heres another thread on it.
http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1567&highlight=sr20

Haha I couldnt find one :oops:

this site has got some good ca18 info

http://www.ca18det.org it gives u tech specs.

sr20det is prettier

haha

i llike both motors…ca18 will cost u less if u are looking for around 250-270 whp but anything above that u will be spending more then u would on sr20 after market parts! sourcing cheap good ca18 parts is like trying to find a hot indian…it doesn happen…in the long run for most power…most reliability…most aftermarket support etc i would go with sr20…but i myself like the design of the ca18 better cuz its basiclly a mini RB and it can take lots of power which u will all see soon :slight_smile:

HOT Indian lol pffff

BOLLYWOOD

sr20

SR is cheap reliable power…Sorry KA and CA lovers but that is the truth. Yes i know im a procrastinator. :lol:

Procrastinator? You postpone doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness?

Don’t you mean a hypocrite?

Stay in school :wink:

But to put in my 2 cents. Every motor has their ups and downs. But information, resources, and aftermarket support and part, the SR is definitely the way to go between the two motors. Keeping stock motor? Then just get whichever you think would be best, but if modding, my opinion is SR.

I guess im a hypocrite and a procrastinator. :lol:

This is good history so you guys now where your motors came from. The last sentence in the first paragraph is classic, and last sentence in last paragraph is classic as well. But I will let you read, hopefully you will interpret it like I did. If you go to the site below it has info on all ca engines.

The CA engine is a 1.6 L to 2.0 L Inline-4 piston engine from Nissan designed for a variety of small Nissan vehicles. It is an iron block, aluminum head design with a timing belt. Earlier versions featured SOHC and 8 valves for mid-range power. Later versions featured DOHC with 16 valves for increased high RPM efficiency and smoother power delivery. It is effectively a Nissan RB block with two less cylinders. Components from valves to lifters, as well as bearings, are similar if not identical to the RB and VG series engines. The motor was expensive to produce being cast iron, so it was replaced in 1991 by the SR series as the primary Nissan 4 cylinder engine.

The CA series engine was the workhorse of the 1980s and was a bulletproof little engine. The power ratings were heavily choked by emissions regulations and Nissan’s desire for high gas mileage. The CA design ended in 1990 with the ultimate CA engine, the CA18DET.

CA18DET
The 1.8 L CA18DET was the last version of the CA engine to be released. It produces 169 hp (124 kW) and 168 ft.lbf (228 Nm). It received a brand new DOHC aluminum head with 16 valves. The turbocharger was also upgraded to a Garrett T25 (.60 A/R) unit for increased flow capacity, and as such, was fitted with an intercooler to help volumetric efficiency. Fuel was delivered via Multiport Fuel Injection. Bore is 83.5mm, and stroke is 83mm. This near square design, coupled with the head design, allows CA18DETs to spin well beyond 7,000RPMs, even in stock trim. The CA18DET is a robust built engine considering that many people have produced up to 600hp with modification.

It was used in the following vehicles:

1987-1988 Nissan Silvia S12 GT-X(International market)
1989-1990 Nissan Silvia/180SX S13 (International market)
1989 Nissan Bluebird SSS Atessa (International market)
Nissan Exa Turbo (Australia, non-intercooled)

There were 2 versions of the CA18DET availible, yet only one was produced for Japan. The Australian and Asian CA18DETs received 8 port (low port) heads, with butterfly actuated auxiliary ports in the lower intake manifold which corresponded with 8 ports in the head. Below ~3800RPMs, one set (4 ports) of long, narrow ports would be open, accelerating the intake charge to the cylinder. This allowed for quick spool and good low end tractibility. At the 3800RPM change over, not only would the ECCS shift into batch fire (as opposed to sequential) fuel injection, but it also opened the second set of short, wide ports which assisted in high RPM flow. This motor is knows for stronger torque characteristics, as well as faster spool at lower RPMs. However, due to displacement-based taxation laws in Europe, the CA18DET was sold as an option in the 200SX (Euro model) of the S13 chassis until its end in 1996. The later motors received the 4 port (high port) head and intake manifold, as well as revised ECCS (“Electronic Concentrated Control System”) parameters. Power was not increased, but high RPM flow was indeed improved, making the 4 port CA18DET the most desirable of the late generation Nissan turbo 4s. Due to superior head design (cam on bucket, as opposed to the flawed complex and heavy rocker arm actuation of later motors like the SR and QR series), many enthusists consider the CA18DET to be the best engine platform since the FJ20/E/T that powered the legendary DR30 Skyline DOHC-RS.

as stated above, parts are starting to dissapear slowly form the main tuners shelves,
and are alot harder to come by on NORTH AMERICAN shores…so the choice is probably gunna be a SR or RB25/26 because of parts avalibility sadly… but look out for TYPHOON and silvia_sr20det’s super fast CA’s this yr…there over 400hp!!! :E

"many enthusists consider the CA18DET to be the best engine platform since the FJ20/E/T that powered the legendary DR30 Skyline DOHC-RS.
"

i must be the biggest exception on this rule :frowning: :frowning:

Fuck 'em both. RB’s are where it’s at.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2195000-2195999/2195046_16_full.jpg

yes sir… :E

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not…

seeing that he owns one now…i think so…