CA18DET

Well how much do I need to spend and what mods do i need to do to a 1990 240sx ?

First of all reconsider the SR. CA’s dont have the best record for being reliable whne stock.

from who do you get this idea from Flavio …

…and do not base it on the engine Kent got that one time as that doesnt count …

LOL Wagon Jumper Flav’… CA sucks! I heart Almighty SR, nigga please.

probably easier to get SR parts then CA these days though

ca parts for after market is slowley deminishing! i should know…ca18 wont run u much money but it will cause some headaches if u are looking for more then 300 HP

but general maintenace parts and most upgrade parts for fuel and exhaust and turbo are all very common …people just dont look into it

I agree, the parts are out there you just have to put more effort in to looking. Alot of them come straight from Japan, while the SR does have alot of parts here in NA

It depends on what you want, KA-T is cheap for power. There are many options for suspension that are under 1500.00.

If his were the only fucked up one the world would be a better place. You dont keep your cars for more than 3 months so you dont really have to consider longevity when importing …cars.

KA turbo is where its at !! WoOt!!

i’ve had mine 2 years now, even runs great in the winter. u just need to do routine maintenance before you end up breaking stuff.

finding parts like a head gasket for my car was right at the dealership, and timing belt and water pump were at partsource. those were all in stock items as well, i assume there’d be a wait on internal parts, but when you’re replacing those, you might as well consider aftermarket.

i do agree, buy an S14 SR20 or R33 RB25 though, they will be far less worry. also, CHEAP and KA-T don’t go together well.

You guys complaining with the CA18, try owning a VG30ET

There is no such thing as “bolt-on”

:roll: inexpensive work better for you?

If his were the only fucked up one the world would be a better place. You dont keep your cars for more than 3 months so you dont really have to consider longevity when importing …cars.[/quote]
hmm well lets see…ive doubled my horse power, been driving it for two yrs, only engine component ive had to replace is a head gasket…if it was a SR, consider a warp’d something or other. seeing as it was the ECNO mass produced motor, built rather to make it cheaper for NISSAN. The CA was too expesive to produce, thus the discontinuation. at 60lbs lighter (iron block , go figure) and RB realiablilty (especially the vavle train…dont see rocker arm stopper for CA or RB do u???) the aftermarket support is there by all the big tuners, but is slowly deminishing…but the $1000 less price tag is attractive… all any engine need is a lilttle TLC to make it in the long run… :finga:

If his were the only fucked up one the world would be a better place. You dont keep your cars for more than 3 months so you dont really have to consider longevity when importing …cars.[/quote]

after seeing marks engine last as long as it has and having a couple CA cars myself as well as speaking with alot of people all over the world regarding the CA18 engine I think I have a good basis for my opinion on wanting to roll with a solid engine like it.
I was trying out a couple cars last year to find one that I really liked but after having my rx7 with the td06 I just couldnt drive something with under 400hp … so I bought myself a 180sx with a CA and td06 …you might see it different but whatever…if someone wants an SR then go for it …there is decent support for both engines … you just have to look but if you want Megan racing and other US company support which I wouldnt really want in the first place for an SR then go for it just to say it is an easy engine to maintain and mod

If you 2 want to discuus SR vs. CA go to any Nissan forum on the internet and they will have a 30+ page thread each about the subject. Meanwhile if you have nothing to contribute to the original posters question, Start a new thread.

You did not contribute anything either relating to a CA18 just put out the idea of a SR …

CA18 engine complete $1000-$1500
SR20 engine complete $2000-$2500

Autodream installation of either- $1000-$1500
hackshop installation of either- $1500-$2000

When I was doing my engine swap I planned for months to pick up a CA18. I didn’t want to shell out an extra $1200 at that time for 200cc’s more. But then I got some insurance settlement money and decided to go with an SR as nobody at that time had a CA in stock.

If I didn’t come across that money I totally would have bought the CA.

Once you buy the engine, expect to send at least 700-1000 to get it installed and running if you are doing it in your garage. That amount escalates depending on what aftermarket parts you want.

CA and SR are both great engines.

Its personal preferance as after driving both there isnt much different at all and the potential is just the same but why pay $1200 more …there has to be something extra …
KA is the only one held back at this point but more and more support and companies are making decent parts for it so in a year or so KA might be the best bet for $/hp