Cable rates

ok im moving in 2 weeks to my new apt and all i want is the most basic calbe i can get. i dont watch tv enough to get dish or alot of cable channels. i tried looking on the time warner website and all i could find was digital cable for like $60 a month which i dont need all those channels. is there anything cheaper?

WHAT CHANNEL DO YOU NEED?

2,4,7,29,49,ETC ARE FREE, 1080I. :wink:

wow nvm i just found out dish is way cheaper… 35 a month for direct tv… ya im getting that. anybody here work for them (direct tv) that could pm me would be great thanks

OH, FWIW TWC USED TO SUPPLY BASIC CABLE FOR FREE WITH ITS ROADRUNNER SHIT. IDC IF THEY STILL DO, OR IF YOU NEED A FILTER (PROLLY ILLEGAL), ETC.

yes this is all i need. how do i go about hooking my tv up for this

I assume its a newer tv? made since 2003?

if so, hook up a set of rabbit ears, or better antennae.

Search around here for anything about “HD OTA”, posted by myself, JayS, or a few others.

You know how yo’ve heard all those adds and disclaimers about how “tv is going digital”, well that means that 1080i is broadcast over the air - meaning you can get 1080i with rabbit ears. 2 4 7 49 29 23 17 and whatever else.

you don’t need an “HDTV” either, in case you don’t have one.

I use bunny ears and get all those channels. I had to get a DTV converter so my pictures are crystal clear. I was considering getting cable until I got my converter.

ive had my tv since like 2000 its nothing fancy at all. and are the converter boxes free?

You can get a $40 coupon from www.dtv2009.gov and then the receivers are only 40 or 50 depending on how fancy you want to go.

If you have been watching the basic on tv they have been advertising the need for these boxes for months now.

and i would just need a set of rabbit ears then right with the converter box

Yea, pickup a digital convertor box.

Should be anywhere from $70 - $200, and get the $50 gov’t rebate after that.

You’ll break even in 2 months of having it (as opposed to dish @ $35/mo).

AND YES, $3 RABBIT EARS. YOU 'D BE AMAZED AT HOW WELL THEY WORK, I KNOW I WAS AT FIRST. BUT ALL OF OUR LOCALS ARE PRETTY CLOSE & STRONG.

IF YOU BUY A BALLER ANTENNA SETUP YOU CAN PRETTY EASILY GET CBC AND SUCH.

I stole the free ones TW was giving out when they lost the one local channel from my parents. They work the best out of all the ones I have had.

Broadcast service with TWC is like $10/mo for 2-23. Never understood why people pay for those channels. Your best bet is almost any antenna hooked up to a converter. No cable company supplies those channels free with their internet service, only a lazy tech forgets to put a trap to prevent that. Today, however you can pick up a few of the unencrypted channels, like the music channels if you have RR only and hook a new digital tuner equipped TV and do a scan.

If you are just interested in those channels, don’t pay any provider, just get an antenna setup.

thanks guys