Cage or no cage street car.

I am probbley wrong but I thought those harnesses are not street legal.

i have been pulled over a few times. It was never even mentioned.

i made a point to ask about race harnesses at driving school 2 weeks ago…as long as they securely hold you down, they’re legal…or so the instructor told me…

Not very fast…

I’m fairly certain that that’s not the only criteria.

However, a lot of people with 4+ point harnesses in their cars don’t wear them properly. WHen i drive my harnesses are so tight i cannot move my body at all.

Are the 5 point harnesses DOT approved?

nope, technicall only standard seat belts are DOT approved, 4pt and 5pt gets approvals from racing bodies like SCCA and FIA etc

i think that there are some 4pt schroth ones that are, but no other ones.

If you are going to get a cage, you need to run harnesses.

EDIT: http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

I’ve been pulled over a bunch of times and the cage is mentioned every time.

If you’re going to be fast enough to have it be required yes. Otherwise, no.

Cages worry me in street cars because of the amount of engineering that goes into a modern car in respect to crash worthiness. You make think you’re making yourself safer only to have the cage end up being your cause of death in a multiple vehicle crash in the real world.

:word:

no cage unless u in low 9s. which aint gonna happen

dont be a ricer

yea when i wear my 4-points they are so tight i cant move at all, takes some time to ge tused to but i love it now

from what i was told 4 points are legal, 5’s are not…could be wrong though

it depends on what you are doing with the car. Even my STi which is remarkably stiff OEM, has noticeably increased stiffness from the addition of the cage.

you need a cage? lol

edit_ going to 2stages???

Not only were you told wrong, but 4 points are INCREDIBLY unsafe. The worst type of restraint. 6>5>3>4.

I’m not going to comment on the cage portion other than saying this.
If you plan on daily driving a car with a cage, padding or no padding, it is actually LESS safe 9/10 than with a cage due to the possibility of your head connecting with the cage (yes, even with padding). The same does not apply if you are wearing a helmet, and if it’s a well designed custom cage. I dont feel like going into all the details though as it’s only going to start an arguement.

It won’t be enough to prevent you from fracturing your skull. Think about putting that padding on a baseball bat. Would you let somebody take a swing at your unhelmeted noggin? I sure wouldn’t…

what kind of cage? 4pt? i would run a 4pt on the street

Cage, not roll bar. There is a reason a halo, a pillar bars and door bars are not being installed in my car this winter.

I want a cage in my SHO, they improve stiffness a great deal + I really want a proper harness for racing. who installs cages around here? What am I thinking i can’t afford that. maybe i’ll just do harness this season.