rollcage legalty

it was discussed on son a long time ago and i couldnt find the thread.

what is an illegal cage and what is a legal cage for driving on ontario highway?

if i make a 6tp with removable side bars will it be legal?

i know people in bc and alberta who run cusco cages and they have had no problems. i know it will pe prone to me being pulled over yadda yadda yadda.

i would like to know the exact laws and maybe then we can make a sticky after or something with all of the correct facts brought togeather?

i dont want to hear “your head will split like a melon bla bla bla” i dont care to hear about that has nothing to do with my question at hand, please dont preach.

please no iirc, and please prove your point.

Side bars aren’t illegal as long as they angle downward…

Why have removable ones?

there is nothing illegal about having a cage in your car… whether is a single hoop or a 6-8pt cage. only thing you cannot do is alter the stock seat belts to add in a harness… if wearing the harness you must also wear the stock belt over top…

as for side bars needing to be on a downward angle… “never heard of that one before”

my uncle and my neigbour are cops “opp and ert” and neither say there is any law against have a roll cage in your vehicle.

as of this point the only “probably i suppose” i have ran into is with insurance… they will not cover me with the cage in my car.

It’s a requirement that they have to be angled down from the main hoop to the floor, because if it’s straight across, emergency crews can’t get you out of the vehicle fast enough…

If it’s angled down they can slide you out…

It only makes sense…

yeah it is insurance that is the problem, not the law

it makes sense yes… but if you want your cage to pass for a professional event like targa you cannot have them on a angle.

Doorbars (for side protection): One or more longitudinal members fitted at
each side of the vehicle (see drawings 253-7, 253-8, 253-12, 253-17) are
highly recommended. If installed, they may be removable. The side protection must be as high as possible, but its upper attachment points must not be higher than half the total height of the door measured from its base. If these upper attachment points are located in front of or behind the door opening, this height limitation is also valid for the corresponding intersection of the strut and the door opening.

[quote=“Jedi_Car_Fan”]

it makes sense yes… but if you want your cage to pass for a professional event like targa you cannot have them on a angle.

Doorbars (for side protection): One or more longitudinal members fitted at
each side of the vehicle (see drawings 253-7, 253-8, 253-12, 253-17) are
highly recommended. If installed, they may be removable. The side protection must be as high as possible, but its upper attachment points must not be higher than half the total height of the door measured from its base. If these upper attachment points are located in front of or behind the door opening, this height limitation is also valid for the corresponding intersection of the strut and the door opening.[/quote]

It says nothing there about side impact bars needing to be horizontal in nature… You misread, all it’s saying is that the bars need to be LONGITUDINAL to the cars axis, not horizontal. There are many targa and FIA spec cages(FIA being the more strict of the two) that have side impact bars that are angled…

So you are indeed incorrect in that respect…

Sad, the things that make us safer in the end make it so we cant get insured making it so we cant drive.

by longitudinal they are meaning horizontal. if i were able to post the diagrams you would see that. and you would see what their must be a horizontal bar then with the option of an angled bar above it. in the case the vehicle is vintage and space is an issue they may or may not let you get away with a single angled bar due to not being able to get in or out of the vehicle at all.

the whole point was needing to have an angled bar to have it legal for the road… which is not true.

we build cages for targa and have dealt with inspectors on many bases so i wouldnt post other wise…

You should check the laws rather then the RULE book…

Whether it’s FIA or Targa spec isn’t the question… the question is in regard to the laws. When I hear from an inspector that longitudinal means horizontal I won’t continue.

I never said a single angled bar would suffice, I merely stated angled bars are needed to be street legal and race worth at the same time…

In other words, you can’t run horizontal bars on street cars and be street legal.

thanks for the info guys

fuck insurance they will drop me anyway the state my car is in and its not even modded much

if they drop me, i will take out the cage, find some plae else, put cage back in

i figure i dont have collision anyway

tehy wont find out unless i crash or someone else calls

if the crash is big enough for them to be notified im sure my car will be useless

… i need exercise anyway

Hate to be the voice of reason, but what if you injure someone else in a collision and they want to sue you for a bajillion dollars? And then your ins co won’t pay up…

More likely than this is IF they drop you, you will have a cancellation on your record, with the reason why… and you will be paying 3x rates if anyone else does insure you.

so you guys are telling me i should risk my life so i can have cheaper insurance rates?

no ones telling you anything they are giving you posibilities, do what you want :slight_smile:

Well, not really, I intend to put in a rollcage too. I’m just playing devil’s advocate (it’s more fun than ping pong)

You aren’t risking your LIFE by not using a roll cage… unless you drive like a moron, in which case your life should be put at risk anyone… karma right?

in most cases its better to have one

why do people wear helmets? to prevent more serious injuries, because in a sport which peopel fall/ body check/ whatever
you have high risk of crashing

just like drifting

That’s an interesteing way of putting it.

But how much will a bolt in roll cage improve stiffness? Will it actually do much good in a heavy impact or roll over?

It will improve the stiffness a geat deal and a bolt in cage will meet all standards for roll over protection as long as its of the right design and properly built/installed.