cage

hey… friend bought a cobra vert… going to race it, and theoretically it’ll be sub 13.49… so he’s going to need a cage… he’s kinda on the wall about ripping up the interior and tossing one in… any bolt in solutions out there?

if it were my car, i’d strip the fucker and cage it… as i’m doing, but it’s not and he was asking me, to which i have no responce. I would assume you can only weld in, but what do i know?

Talk to Lou. he just put a cage in his cobra and it looks damn good.

Don’t need a cage until 11.49 IHRA 11.99 NHRA. Only needs to be an eight point which will be legal to 9.99(don’t quote 9.99 but pretty sure) Putting one in a 67 mustang in a couple weeks.

it’s a convertable it needs a bar at 13.49 i believe…but only a bar is needed

1. i don’t need inaccurate info
  2. my question is pertaining to the installation of a cage, i.e. welding or if you can avoid it, not looks.

blue, what do you mean just a bar? you mean a hoop? i thought a 6pt was required.

IHRA rulebook:

a minimum 6 pt bar is mandatory on all convertables running 11.00 to 13.49 1/4 or 8.25 or quicker 1/8th

a cage includes across the door and windshield a bar is just that…a bar. so he won’t need to hack most his interior to put a 6pt in

that’s what ti thought… still needs to have 6x6 welding points?

“all cars with an OEM frame must have roll bar welded to frame cars without frame use 6” square steel plates on top and bottom of floor securely bolted together with at least 4 bolts"

i’m guessing that’s talking about unibody at a minimum bolt in style bar. i dunno bout those mustangs if they’re unibody or not so answer your question yes if it’s a unibody no if it can bolt to the frame somehow. i would just use it anyway

Not required to be welded to the floor.

NHRA rulebook, " May attach roll bar with 6x6x.125 steel plates on top and bottom of floor with at least four 3/8 bolts."

sweet… thanks guys

Does it matter what grade bolts? Wouldn’t want to fail tech over a cheap item.

I wouldn’t skimp on bolts. Grade 8 bolts are readily available and aren’t going to be much more than a grade 5. The cheap ungraded bolts should definately not be used. Ask Sonny about getting schooled in bolts… :finger:

not at all.

i’m using a grade 10 in my cabby… :madfawk:

also have a set of grade 5 holding my axle mounts on :kekegay:

Show me a grade 10 bolt. I thought we established there is no such thing. There is a metric 10.9 bolt which is what you say is a grade 10… :bash:

there is grade 10!