Camber Tires

I think I remember this being posted before but not in it’s own thread.

Basically it’s a tire that’s designed to work with negative camber so that you get the same performance advantage (or style advantage if you drive a VW) of cambered tires but without the wear.

You can’t buy them yet and their website is incomplete at best… http://www.cambertire.com/

Recently on with Jay Leno with a test drive:

http://www.cambertire.com/OPTIMA%20SPORTS%203_files/image016.png

but can you stretch em?

reading this post reminded me of a Nitto AD that used to run in all the sport compact mags back in 2005…

tire is the Nitto NeoGen…designed specially for lowered cars with negative camber.

i went on their site, the tire is still in production

Isn’t the point of increasing camber to allow a full contact patch in sharp turns when the weight of the car causes the car to lean and the tire to roll?

If so, doesn’t this completely defeat the purpose, since now you’ll have a full contact patch going straight, and be right back to leaning on the sidewall in a turn, the same way a normal tire with normal camber does?

If so, at what point can we just start killing VW drivers for their stupidity?

would the tire not wear faster than a normal tire on a car with no camber still. one side of the tire must always be slipping to accomodate for the difference in diameter between the inside and outside of the tire while moving in a straight line.

also the shape of the tire may cause the car to wonder more. when more pressure is applied to one tire then the other the difference in diameter could try to turn the car. this could also improve handling depends how you look at it. if the car is turning left. more pressure is applied to the right side tire. the right side tires would have a smaller diameter on the inside then the outside and would try to turn the car to the left.

just my $.02
cant wait to see how they workout when they are available.

I dunno guys, watch the vid I posted with Jay Leno, lol.

wow crazy idea…a cone

the nitto neogens are just reinforced in the area were camber wear is most (inside part of contact patch)

I believe the entire purpose of this VW inspired crap is for “all show & no go” just like most of their modded cars.

So its purely for aesthetic reasons, for them to drive to their car meets and show how low and wide they can get.

See: My Avatar.

I was thinking the same thing. The angular velocity is not changing but the circumference is. So it’s just as you said it, one part of the tire needs to be grinding the pavement at all times. Those are going to be some fucked up wear patterns.

But like most things that the show crowd gets into and fucks up it had it’s roots in performance. Go look at any serious modified autocross car and you’ll see pretty big camber (nothing like the VWgay crowd big) and I’m 99% sure it’s for the reasons I mentioned.

What if you track and DD a car… rather then changing your chamber after each race or event… have two sets of wheels, one set with regular tires and one set with camber tires. This would allow great track performance and awesome street tire wear.

http://www.buffalospeed.com/image.php?u=3256&dateline=1279297225

Take any cone shaped object, such as a pint beer glass, and roll it on the floor. Does it roll straight or does it want to turn about the smaller diameter.

Now image the frictional (tire wear) losses trying to keep that cone shape straight.

EXACTLY

^ this

I’m all for stance, poke and camber, but only to an extent, and on the correct car.

True, but watch the video. He rolls a tire to Jay and it doesn’t turn. In fact it looking at it on that video they don’t even look cone shaped, granted those are only 2-degree tires. They look like normal tires and I’d imagine any street version of this tire would look almost square and could probably be balanced out using varying rubber compounds.

I wonder how much camber it would take to make them REALLY aggressive and make them start to look cone shaped like the picture above. At that point maybe the frictional wear being higher will be worth it for the increase in performance.

But who knows really until they’re out.

In the Green Technology section of their website, they say:

“In comparison, camber tires will roll in a circle, so when properly installed and aligned they will have an inherent tendency towards self-centering without requiring toe-in. This reduces rolling resistance and in turn, increases tire lifespan and fuel economy as well as lowers fuel emissions.”

^^The fact that the company makes no effort to explicitly explain how they are coming up with this logic seems really sketch. Maybe they don’t know what they’re talking about…Or maybe their thinking is that if you slightly toe-out so that your leading edge of the tire is perpendicular to travel direction, then at every instantaneous moment the leading edge of the tire will go straight. This still seems wrong to me because the trailing edge would now be twice as worse in scrub…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but to reduce roll resistance caused by negative camber you should be using toe-out not in, which leads me to believe that they really don’t know what they’re talking about. That being said this appears to be a hypre fitment/low thing not for going fast.

Also only 2 degrees wouldn’t make a huge diameter difference so you probably wouldn’t notice it just by rolling it a few feet. I bet it still wears really odd, and I bet doing a good alignment job is a bastard.