Can any of you 'Mericans widen rims?

Just wondering if any of you guys in New York or whatever know of any shops that will widen rims. Or any shop that can make custom lips/barrels…

I’ve tried Kodiak in BC but they no longer do it.
Tried a guy in the UK but his tools cannot do what is necessary.
Tried CCW. They only do CCW.
Tried WeldCraft Wheels… never got a response… ever…
tried a few other placed but to no avail…

Specs on rims if it helps.
17x9 +17 (all around) Veilside Andrew Racing V 3-piece rims. 40 bolts per rim.

Need two widened to 17x10.5 and the other two to 17x13…
But they have to be widened on the outer lip/barrel… Which seems to be a tricky task…

Pic…

Yes, I want the outer/face side lip/barrel widened. The lip sits at 2’’ now.

Yes, I’m aware of what this will potentially cost…
yes, I’m aware I should just buy CCW’s and will ultimately end up doing so. When I have $3500 to spend on them, lol

What about wheel wizards in Hamilton? I took a VERY bent wheel to them a few years ago and they fixed it where that was the most balanced wheel out of the four

Hmmmm Never heard of them. Will have to give them a call.

In the meantime MOAR!

wheel wizards is EXPENSIVE…

i would say you should sell thsoe wheels and then buy what you want… it will be cheaper, faster and will a far lower margin of error.

you can get a G for those wheels probably and get the wheels you want for under $3k…

Find me 17x13’s that aren’t CCW, lol
The rims I want are the ones I have. I just want them wider… Much wider. I’d rather spend the $1500 or so widening them then buying 18’s or spending the $3500 for the CCW’s I want.

Plus, if these rims get widened. They’ll be the only set of Veilside Andrew’s that are 17x10.5 and 17x13… And I like that…
They’ll match my seemingly one-off hood, lol

If Wheel Wizards can widen them, I’ll spend the money widening them… Then the fun part begins… :twisted:

yes, I’m as stubborn as they come…

Somebody with a mustang on here had some wheels widened. Looked pretty good from the pictures but I don’t remember who it was. I’m sure the next person to post in this thread will know.

well whatever you do i wana see the outcome… ive mostly seen corvette and camaro guys widening their stock rims… could check ls1tech ive seen a buncha threads there. Some stang owners too with their stang wheels…

:word: Violator on NYSpeed widened some SSR GT3 Knock-off wheels once to a 5" lip… however that project took a dive and it was him who personally welded them. They never went on the car.

Not a real image, but a PS made by HotRodKid.

I’d link you to the thread, but it’s just 4 pages of Newman and others making fun of him :slight_smile:

Give Rim Pro a call. If anyone knows, they would - www.rimpro.com

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

I talked to them a bunch about a custom project a few years back.

James of S1DC does silly shit like this… he did it to a set of 16" eagle talon rims to widen them up… he IS a machinist by trade so i suppose he could do it for you. He has an account on here but doesnt really use it.

Get in touch with one of the other S1DC guys to get his contact info.

He probably tried by email. Lots of “old school muscle” guys don’t use it. Call them.

Hmmm this sounds promising…

Tried both… Only called once or twice though.
However, he has an email listed on his site. So I’d expect him to use it. No point having a business email if you’re not going to check it.

On top of that. The weldcraftwheels site directly says, under contact, to email james any questions or concerns…
And…
" Notice All wheels being widened to the front require e-mail approval from James first. Please contact him at James@weldcraftwheels.com before shipping your wheels in for modification (Include wheels in the subject line of your e-mail)."
lol

with the odd hours I work. It’s not really economical for me to call around to most places… It’s easier for me to send emails at 1-2am… I’m sure people will get upset if I start calling them at this hour :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll ask around, there is sure to be somone here in the dirty D that’ll be able to do it

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this makes me ponder if i could widen my 17x9.5+15 rpf1s… then again there’s no good tire sizes in 17s bleh… 275/40/17, 295/35/17 (rare), 315/35/17… thats about it… and 255/40/17 like im running. i should have went with frickin 18s… I love my rpf1s… but wish they were wider… 18x11 (295/30/18), 18x12.5 (315/30/18) is kinda what i got in mind down the road… something along those lines… heh… rpf1s with a deep dish :stuck_out_tongue: I can see it now :smiley:

James is the guy who always has the massive dogs with him and his GF at the events… he had 2 at CSCS with him… big deaf albino dog and another one.

Are you gay? lol
Those are great sizes… What more do you need than a 315?
P.S.
There is also a 335/35/17…

P.P.S.

18’s are gay…

P.P.P.S.

I must find this mystical James fellow…

275/40/17 is gay, 295/35/17 is not that much better either plus rare, 315/35/17 is okay not saying wider in the rear… I’m talking what about the front. That’s pretty much all there is. They are bubbly tall bastards. 18s offer so many more choices that is all. Are YOU gay? lol Now if manufacturers would actually make something like a 275/35/17 that’d be great but it’s not going to happen.

A 285/30/18 or 295/30/18 in the front is just about perfect… 295/30/18 is 25" tall, thin sidewall, wide. And 295/30/18 could be had for cheap from porsche guys for those that like used tires. End of story :smiley: 275/40/17 is almost 26" and a shit sidewall. As much as I am tempted to pull it off on the front it sounds like a bad idea. I rather go for the 295/30/18.

P.S.
The 335/35/17 is also not exactly always common and is 26.2" tall with a 4.6" sidewall vs say a 335/30/18 which is 25.9" tall and 4" sidewall

I suppose with the wheel widths you want you could get some 295/35/17 and 335/35/37… and they are not very common either…It’ll look badass but I am also talking about tire height and sidewall here not just wide… It’s not about just saying or feeling “hey cool 275 sounds wider than 255!”… there’s the tire height and sidewall to consider… I chose 9.5" to slightly stretch my 255s as they are also a bigger sidewall than pretty much any of the similar sized 18s… 255/35, 265/35, 275/35, etc…

^lol, the guy who’s all about maximum rubber is against sidewall! lol

18’s are still gay…

Plus, You of all people should know that no same size tire is the same size from different manufacturers… lol

Another plus… Much easier to slam the piss out of a s-chassis with 17’s and easier to maintain awesome sauce suspension geometry…
I’ll take the .4’’ of extra sidewall :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S.
Bridgestones 275/35R17 ZR Expedia S01

they make em… But hard to find… Not sold in North America

whaaa 275/35/17 would be win in all directions if only more manufacturers would actually jump on the bandwagon to make some :-/ ah well. Too bad :-/ I would definetely rock that shit (r comps that is…)

18s aren’t gay they’re just expensive :stuck_out_tongue: Stop fighting the future haha… that’s like people who raced and stuck to 15s for so long and well… yea :slight_smile: 17s are easy to get and cheap though no doubt… and actually speaking of slamming t he sizes I listed would technically then be more slammable if that’;s your thing :stuck_out_tongue: Well whatever wide is cool either way you got my support in your endevour lol.

Weird cars run such weird tire sizes… like a porsche 935… ever see what wheels/tires get put on that thing or were put on that thing back in its race glory days? Try 19x14.5 :smiley: And yes those things have nice fat sidewalls and tall tires while you’re at it :stuck_out_tongue: Just saying on our cars its kinda meh… (our cars suck). Try stuffing that shit anywhere :smiley: