Can you drive a manual transmission car?

should be interesting

I would assume at least 99% of NYSpeed can drive stick, seeing as it’s an enthusiast site.

That said, only about 10% of the people I actually interact with outside of this forum can, which is kind of unsettling.

is this a trick question or something…

My g/f can’t drive a manual car but can ride her ninja with no issues.

Absolutely I can. Heel-toe’ing since the day I could drive.

That being said, only my close friends can drive a standard transmission, everyone else sucks.

Public poll may skew honesty lol

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j431/piratemosh666/Forum%20gifs%20and%20pics/save-the-manuals-600x600px-jpeg-439x439.jpg

no

Voted no, because I can’t threshold brake with my left foot as good as I want too.

I wasn’t allowed to get my license until I knew how to drive a manual car. That was one rule my father would not budge on for me and my 10 brothers and sisters.
2 of my 3 kids drive manual, my youngest (19) absolutely refuses to drive a manual, she thinks it’s stupid. My son taught her how but she hates it.

not sure why this is a poll but yes

i learned how to drive and took my road test in a pickup with a manual transmission. i feel really awkward when i drive automatics.

my first car i bought 5 years ago, was a manual. Drove it off the deal lot with never driving one before (its amazing what you can learn on the internet)…ive since converted my older sister, younger brother, brother in law, and a few other people to love the manual…

The absolute WORST is when you ask someone “Can you drive standard” because they are taking a car for a test drive, they say “Yes”, and then they SUCK at it. Slipping the clutch, leaving it in gear WAY to long, etc etc.

Yes, I can drive standard. My first vehicle was a VW Bus. Think stick in a bucket of warm butter with the precision of a drunken elephant in terms of pattern and tolerances.

This is how I bought my second car. I went to the lot, told the dealer I had never driven one (I was 18) and he handed me the keys and said you will learn quick.

first car I ever drive was manual

Bought myself a manual car for my first car without having much more than an hour’s experience in a parking lot ripping apart the gears of a poor old Saab 9000. I had pretty much forgotten everything I had learned by the time I bought my first car so it was pretty much like learning all over again, but it was probably one of the best decisions I could have ever made. Of course my family hated it simply for the fact that they could never move my car since none of them can drive standard.

I learned to drive on 3 on the tree, then a four speed side mount. Then had a few automatics, then a bunch of five and six speeds.

First car was a 4 speed chevette. Just recently switched to auto for the first time in years because they don’t make the truck I bought in manual.

Taught my wife how to drive stick in my dsm with an act 2600. She doesn’t like driving stick. I don’t understand why?

Learned at 12 on my dad’s accord in the MOOG parking lot. first 2 cars were manual.

current car is also manual.