can you upgrade a USB port?

so i bought my external HD the other day and when i hooked it up i got a message saying that the HD has a highspeed 2.0 USB, and my computer has a slower older one. Im curious if that is something i can upgrade?

nah you have to get a card.

well yes and no, there’s no software or firmware you can install. But as Rob said you can by a usb2.0 card for around $10 and install it.

well i knew it would be hardware, just wondering if it would be easy to do and cheap.

$8.99 cheap enough?

ya, cheap enough, just dont see how that would work in my computer. I dont think there is anywhere that would let me actually have the connections sticking out of the computer.

You don’t have a free pci slot? then yes you are in trouble.

You using a laptop?

Or just a smaller PC?

desktop.

My computer knowledge (especially with hardware) is very limited, so bare with me.

but it is also like 4-5years old

you could remove the old usb card i would think. then just plug the new card into your newly available usb slot.

thats basicly what i was trying to ask in the first place, lol.

chances are you have slots open instide the computer, if you are unsure take a pic.

take the side off od the computer, take pic of motherboard, post.

You prolly have a free slot that You could pop a USB 2.0 card into. You would have to pick up a long (2 - 4’) USB cable and plug it into the back of the PC. 5 minute job MAX.

i need to clean all the dust out of my computer this weekend. I’ll take a pic when i do that.