Canisius Quad Party Roll Call

Who’s planning on being in attendance?

My 5th and final year as a student, so I’m obligated (not that I wouldn’t anyway though).

For those of you that don’t know, Canisius College’s last day of classes is tomorrow…and the last day of classes for the spring semester of Canisius = Quad Party. Starts as early as 7AM, people start passing out and calming down by 3PM or so. Those of us that make it to class, are typically pretty hammered…then from what I hear, after much napping and recovering, a lot of people will be attending the bar crawl tomorrow night ($10 gets you cover to 10 bars).

I plan on starting on Eastwood at a friend’s place at 7:30AM for the “eggs and kegs” kickoff breakfast party. I will then be found with a backpack full of bottles of ice tea… :snky:

Byron’s been trying to crack down, but I think more than anything he’s just motivated Canisius students to party harder.

I know Joe will be going…but who else from here plans on it?

im not a canisius student but maybe :wink:

meh, prolly just gonna go to class and laugh at all the drunk/ passed out people in it.

I can’t pass up a free Chiavetta’s Chicken Dinner so I’ll be there.

unfortunately I have to work anyway. weak sauce. :frowning:

ib4 Joe

Got to see a kid fall backwards off a second story balcony last year. Too bad I have to work this year.

Great e-mail that got sent out, makes me real hopeful for tomorrow.

Dear Students,

The semester is coming to an end and Spring Fest takes place on Friday. We encourage you to participate fully in the events we have scheduled at KAC and Palisano. We want you to enjoy an end of the year celebration. We do not want to see anyone get hurt and we do not want disruption or damage in the neighborhood.

We are sure you are hearing many rumors regarding what will take place in the neighborhood on Friday. Here are the facts:

1. Buffalo police traffic officers will be stationed at 9:00 a.m. on Friday at Loring & Humbolt, Hughes & Oakgrove, Hughes & Jefferson, Blaine & Oakgrove, Blaine and Jefferson, and Meech & Hedley. Only resident vehicles will be allowed to pass. Please respect the police as they maintain these “local traffic only” barricades.
  1. Additional police officers will arrive at 10:00 a.m. and will commence foot patrols in the neighborhood. Underage drinkers, students with open containers, and students who appear intoxicated will be stopped by these officers and taken to a police command bus at the rear of the campus. Students will be issued tickets in the command bus and will be given warnings that further inappropriate behavior will result in arrests.
  1. Illegal house parties (excessive numbers of attendees, underage drinkers, and party goers on front lawns and/or in the street) will be shut down.
  1. Lists of students who receive tickets or are arrested will be shared with Public Safety and then with us. Canisius College sanctions will follow.

We have heard from students that many of you believe that Spring Fest this year will be business as usual and that none of the above described actions will occur. This simply is not true. Please do not try to test the system to see if the Buffalo police are serious, just trust us that they are.

Let’s make Spring Fest a day in which we can all be proud to be part of the Canisius Community!

Sincerely,

Dr. Ellen O. Conley
Vice President for Student Affairs

Dr. Terri L. Mangione
Dean of Students

There was even mention of this on Shredd and Ragan today

In other news, kegs and eggs at 8 at a buddy’s house near elmwood, then heading over to Hughes, then possibly Hedley.

so, that’s pretty much the entire buffalo police force…being put to work babysitting college students…i don’t see it happening.

the fact alone that they mentioned people thinking it’s not real and not to test the system makes me not believe it more. if buffalo police want to crack down more on public drunkenness, they should start with chippeawa lol.

and the part about breaking up parties with too many people, and people on the lawn? the lawn is not public…once you step off a private house’s lawn i see them having right to do something…but while you’re on that private party (assuming you’re 21) they can’t do anything.

and what are they going to do, without warrants, barge into every house that looks like it has people in it?

human nature is to do what told not to do, and to not do what one is told to do…so i still think this is only going to frustrate students and make them want to get more out of hand. the quad party hasn’t been a problem for decades, and now that there’s additional police present the past few years, problems have started…

Well chalk that one up to Brown.

And I agree with you on the lawn party thing, I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read that. They can’t legally do that, can they?

They did though. On facebook the group “save quad party” said that people got tickets for playing Kan Jam and drinking out of cups on their front lawn even though they weren’t bothering anyone and even asked the neighbors if they were bothering them.

I live 1 road over from this and I will be nowhere near this, plus I will be at work til 10.

ahh i miss those days

i was invited by several people, probably not goin though.

In. Took a vacation day. Have 6 former classmates from out of town staying at my house tonight in anticipation of this. I’ll be on Meech and Loring at 9. I’m going to kill a liter of Van Gogh Double Espresso or bust.

i really doubt that to be true at all. if over 21, they were not in violation of ANY law by throwing a frisbee around, having a drink, on their own property, with no report of any complaint at all. probably just dumb kids trying to rally more people against the authorities, making up stories to make the cops sound worse than they really are. Buffalo cops are pretty laid back…this is demonstrated EVERY WEEKEND on chippeawa…they know how to spot troublemakers or potential serious problems…Byron probably just wants them present, but once there, i doubt they’ll be any more aggressive in handing out tickets than they are around all the publicly displayed drunkenness downtown every weekend.

i like van gogh and all but in this case id rather bust

good thing byron brown has his cops out making a difference… busting drunk college students clearly takes priority over such things as:

1. getting drugs off the streets
  2. getting guns off the streets
  3. preventing gang related crime

seriously, i am glad my property tax dollars are being put to good use for the one day a year that canisius college students really let it rip. no really, i think it is super important to have a swat team preventing yuppies in training from sipping on wine coolers and drinking out of kegs.

what a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. this insults my intelligence. if only mayor brown would react to other serious acts with the same fervor he has reacted to quad party, the city would be a much better place to live.

talk about a gross misallocation of resources.

:picard:

also, let us not forget that canisius college used to actually pull and entire BEER TRUCK up inside the quad and sponsor an all day drinking event for students. FREE. my, how times have changed.

I did it. Plus 6 or 7 drinks downtown at the bar crawl. Fuck the police.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/18511074.html#
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=57544

Absolutely ridiculous. It was like Tiananmen square 1989.