Car died out. Wont run. Pulled code 34. Need some help.

Hey guys. So my stupid KADE is acting up again. A couple days ago i was driving home from my gf’s place and i was about an hour from home, just cruising very nicely and granny shifting. So im leaving a light 1st…2nd…3rd… off. car just turns off completely. No warnimng no sputter, nothing. So i pull onto the shoulder to see whats goin on. The car wont start. It turned over like its all good and it actually tried to start a couple times and got up to like 800 rpm then died. So i ripped my kick plate off, pulled out my ecu, and just when i couldnt feel my fingers anymore cause it was so cold, I ran the diagnostic and got 3 short flashes and 4 long flashes. Looked it up, Detonation and Knock sensor. Googled alot, cant really find shit other than my knock sensor might be pooched. But i doubt it. So i tried to start the car again and it actually worked! it was running about 50X worse than when it was running on 2 cyinders last week. but i managed to pull off the road and into a walmart parking lot just as my exhaust started bellowing greyish smoke and filled the road lol. Im not sure why it started smoking, but cant be good news. Ended up towing it home for $150 after checking every simple thing i could think of and having a little chat with the guy in the walmart auto department lol. any help guys?

• When the car died i smelled a weirdish smell that ive never smelled before, kinda chemically.
  • When trying to start it smells HARD like gas.

When i was having a problem last week i did the following;

• Replaced distributor and Rotor
  • Replaced plug wires
  • replaced spark plugs
  • Performed compression test (180, 180, 190, 170)
  • Swapped ECU (Fixed previous problem)
  • OHM tested fuel injectors (all good)
  • Click tested fuel injectors to ensure they are actually firing

The only conclusions im drawing right now are;
Timing off?
MAF sensor?

Thanks alot guys.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Gonna check for fuel, spark, compression when i get some time soon.

did you check the wiring going to the sensor? or check this… http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/360774-knock-sensor-code-symptoms.html

Briefly, it looked okay but I’m gonna do a more in depth inspection with light. Thanks for that link, lots of good info.

yea np man, hope you get it fixed up soon!

On the bright side, my header just got delivered while i was outside working on the car lol (y)

So I think I found the problem. I was going to check if the knock sensor clip was getting power, so I disconnected it. As soon as it was free and bent down a little bit, the black wire revealed a huge split and the copper fibers are all separated. This is right at the clip to, so I can’t even cut it and re do the joint. So now I need the clip with a little span of wire so I can splice it on to the harness.

Went to the scrap yard and they had 1 240!! The clip was there but the harness had been cut off RIGHT at the clip where my little break is.

Does anyone have a parts car that they wouldnt mind selling me one?

Don’t know for sure but I expect that the knock sensor and connector is not unique to the KA in the 240. You might want to look for a KA altima and see if it looks the same.

Shit!! Never thought of that! Can anyone confirm that this will work? There so many altimas and sentras and stuff at the scrap.

your better off finding altimas and sentras at the scrap than a 240 bro, keep us updated!

So I went to a different scrap yard and got the clip I need from a 240, spliced it in really nice. Didnt work. I tried really hard and got the car started and it was running on 2 cylinders. But not the same 2 cylinders as before! This time it’s #1 and #2 that are dead. so I pulled the plugs and they were soaked in fuel. I checked if the wires had spark, and they all do. The ecu is still giving code 34.

So I plugged in my old ecu for fun and it was running on 2 cylinders, but not the same 2! #1 and #3 are dead, and the ecu is throwing code 34. I’m thinking the knock sensor might be done. That may have also been the reason why I had my first problem! And the Newly learning ecu may not have tripped the code? I’m not too sure on that though it’s Just a guess.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Thanks for the support man!

I tried deleting the knock sensor by putting a 1000k resistor on by soldering the positive and negative wires to the resistor. Didn’t do anything. Still runnin on 2 cylinders, smelling bad like fuel, and giving code 34. Any help guys? I’m getting hopeless. I really need the car running.

So I swapped in my old ECU and the dead cylinders changed from #1 and #2 to #1 and #3. any ideas? Im gonna try another ecu. Anybody have one?

Think i got a KA ecu kickin around here somewhere… will check for yah but i dunno if its automatic or stick

Alright thanks man. I need 5-speed. Just let me know. You can call/text me at 905-920-682one.

Sent you pm regarding ECU