New KADE problem *Replaced ECU again, symptoms changed*

Hey guys so as some of you know my KA has been pretty messed up lately. It was running on 2 cylinders, #1 and #3 were dead. So I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Then performed a compression test, ohm tested the fuel injectors, ran fuel injector cleaner, click tested the fuel injectors to insure they are firing. Everything was good. The problem still wasn’t fixed, so I bought an ecu from BoOsT-HuNgRy and the problem was fixed!

Two weeks later while driving, the car died out with no warning. When I started it up it ran on 2 cylinders, but this time #1 and #2 are dead. ECU threw code 34 (Detonation/Knock sensor circuit). So I attached a 1000K ohm resistor to the harness in place of the sensor. This gives the ECU a good knock sensor reading. Didn’t fix the problem.

So I bought another ECU from Maverick. Installed it. Removed the 1000K ohm resistor. Started it up. The car ran on all 4 cylinders and held an idle (though unstable). Alot more than usual smoke was coming out of the exhaust, but I figured that is okay because its freezing and the car hasn’t been started for 2 weeks. So thinking everything was okay I let it warm up to take it for a drive. After about 5 mins the exaust started bellowing alot of smoke, so I did the smart thing and revved it a bit lol. I filled my whole yard, and my 2 neighbors on either side with a huge smoke storm! And that was only 5 seconds of 3-5k revving. The smoke wreaked like gas. It seemed to be running extremely rich.

Does anybody know what this could be? When the car was running on 2 cylinders previously, the plugs in the dead cylinders where SOAKED in fuel, could they be ruined?

Well now that we have an ECU working lol.

Check the fuel pressure regulator cause that could be it. If it fails you will be running STUPIDLY rich and tons of black smoke. I’d be willing to put my money one that.

Lol. Okay I’ll deff check that out. The smoke wasn’t black though, it was white. Like the same as when you breath in the cold lol. I can’t tell if it’s coolant burning because I’m not sure if the smoke is white or gray because it’s so cold that any heat makes smoke!

White smoke is usually from burning oil. Could check compression if you haven’t already.

Thick white smoke is coolant and if its got a tint of blue and unpleasant smell its oil.

As for your issues it almost sounds like your wiring may be pooched which is tripping the ECU out or damaging it.

Already did a compression test, everything was gooooood. Im starting to think the same DirrtyDevo. Im not too sure how to go about fixing it though. This is really starting to get to me lol. Im starting to consider either buying a new KA, tranny, harness because my old shit it pretty pooched anyways. OR selling this 240 all together and starting a new project with an S14 that needs less work just to keep it going lol. ive spent about $1500 ontop of the vehicle cost just to get it safetied, etested, welded, etc. The car is really solid, and a GREAT start for a project. I dunno now i wanna keep it lol. This is gonna be a hard decision…

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

If someone knows a good place to buy a low km KA24DE with tranny, harness, etc. please send me a PM.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

BUT im still open to suggestions on fixing this problem.

Hey guys, could this be from a bad ground somewhere?

could be bad ground but i would think it more to be a shorting circuit thats frying the ECU or sensors. Whatever it is it sounds like wiring so bust out the multimeter and beer cause its gonna be a bitch fixing the rest.

sound like a stuck open injector to me which would cause a plug to foul and not fire causing it to run on 2 cylinders, if 2 injectors where stuck open or leaking past the pinto would cause such a symptom. So try pulling all the plugs dry them unplug the injectors. Turn the engine over a few times (just incase the cylinder walls are fuel washed). Put the plugs back in (leave injectors unplugged). Turn it over again a few times to attempt to fire any excess fuel. Now plug in the injectors one at a time to see if they all cause the engine to Fire. If one doesn’t the injector is bad or check to see if the plugs wet.

Hey guys. So i got this problem figured out a few months ago. After replacing 56 million (exact number) things, I replaced the plugs and put in a bottle of Lucas Oil “upper cylinder lubricant with fuel injector cleaners”, and after a bunch of smoke. BAM. It ran perfectly. I think the problem was definately with the fuel injectors as lots of you guys have said. I have been driving the car every day for about 3 months since that! Thanks alot for all the help everyone!

Im now selling the car because I need a work truck :(. $1800obo. Im posting an ad in the for sale section. If you want to check out my kijiji ad, here is the link: