Car Help...

Hey guys,

When braking, there is a grinding noise that comes from the rear end of my car, it has no trouble at all braking it just makes a grinding noise…I know nothing about cars and hoping somebody can give me and explanation for it. I have a 1995 Grand Prix. Any help would be awesome!! Thanks!

rear disc or drums?

if its discs i would guess your pads are shot

if its drums, as far as im concerned drums work like auto transmissions- off of magic and wormholes. no advice for you

Yeah i really dont know, it sounds like a metal to metal grinding.

you’re on an automotive forum and you don’t know the difference between discs and drums, or what you have?

if this is the case, you obviously don’t have the know-how to fix it yourself…so why not just save us the thread and just do what you’re going to do anyway in the end and go pay somebody else to fix it. :gotme:

Well i thought that maybe i could have someone with knowledge of cars share it with me, and get an idea of what i will be looking at pricewise.

brakes are pretty easy. i wouldn’t recommend taking it on with no knowledge at all…but i’m sure there’s guys on here that would do it for you for half what a shop would prob charge

I apologize, i misunderstood what Jam said, i have disc brakes on the rear.

How many miles have the rear pads and rotors been on the car? When’s the last time they have been replaced? If you need them replaced I can help ya out for a fair price…I’m currently a GM ASEP student so I could do them no problem.

drums are the devil, discs are easy

pm carnut

wow you guys are young.

you need rear brakes.what kind of car?

^^^

[quote=JCE814;1098676]
I have a 1995 Grand Prix[quote]

^^^^

seriously, let’s let them drive some cars that don’t have discs at all. i’d say about 90% of them wreck.:rofl:

Evil, but hardly complicated. Everyone has to learn somehow if they are willing. Just sounds like brakes it’s a simple job.

It’s one of those times a cheapo haynes manual is nice. It has pretty pictures to show you how to do it.

Does anyone else get weirded out when there’s actually a thread asking about cars on this site now?

yeah, untill you go do brakes on a mid 90’s toyota or subaru or nissan and brake the anchor bolts. Or find out the last person to do the brakes on a suburban used a 3/4" impact gun to tighten everything down. not so easy anymore. it’s buffalo, slider pins sieze, caliper pistons freeze up. If you know the history of the car and who’s serviced it properly then there’s no worries, but if it’s the first time your doing brakes yourself and don’t know when they’ve last been done, your going to need more than just a manual.

edit: i think you were talking about drums but the same scenario, just different hardware breaking. But all in all brakes are simple :slight_smile:

Id guess worn out shoes or pads. LMAO at the youngins that think drums are evil. You havent lived evil until you have driven a 63 impala with drum brakes all around and no brake booster. Herculeg for life lol.

lol read my mind.

the first thing i thought when i saw this thread was “shit…a thread on this AUTOMOTIVE forum where somebody’s actually asking for AUTOMOTIVE help…but i’ll bet it just goes completely OT, gets locked, and turns into a n00b hating, e-cock jousting fest.”