Car Magazines & Websites - What's Good/Bad?

What car magazines / sites do people subscribe to or read? Who are your favorite writers?

I like C&D although I recognize they are WAY biased towards BMWs, and R&T as well to some extent…

But there’s so much subjectivity in the ratings anyways that I would never use a comparo (or forum for that matter) to decide my next car. And to be honest, I won’t be looking for a new car anytime soon so it’s not like the comparo stuff is relevant to me.

My favorite writer is John Philips from C&D, hands down. He has a self deprecating style with the right blend of good blend of sarcasm, wit and “huh?! that was totally random” factor. I catch myself laughing out loud at a lot of his insights.

Ezra Dyer from Automobile is also a great writer and makes any subject entertaining and light without being pompous or overbearing.

Peter Egan from R&T has a great column “Side Glances” and you can just tell the way he writes how in love he is with automobiles and bikes. Yet he maintains a grounded writing style that makes articles relevant and interesting for almost any reader.

As for writers for Super Street, Modified Honda, or Import Tuner, etc I’m sorry but most of those guys wouldn’t know a proper metaphor if it bit them in the a$$…

Discuss!

C&D sucks imo just b/c of their apparent bias towards imports

Ezra Dyer from Automobile is also a great writer and makes any subject entertaining and light without being pompous or overbearing.

I agree. I get Automobile and Road&Track. I miss the “People and Places” column alot though.

Oh yeah, I get Honda Tuning too… but lately that mag has been a joke…

I find stickydiljoe.com to be very entertaining for Honda enthusiasts. That’s about all I read now adays besides forums.

Road&Track.

Grassroots Motorsports and Racecar Engineering, but RE’s too expensive to get on a regular basis, $100+ for a year subscription! Used to get Modified but its gone to hell in the last few years.

RCE is worth it, I read every page. Grassroots didnt send me the last issue. :shifty I’m in it too, not cool.

gm high tech perf is one of my fav,s

Hot Rod, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, High Performance Chevy, & Overdrive.

Might be in the inner ricer in me but im subscribed to:

Project Car (since it came out
Import tuner (since late 05)
Nissan Sport Mag (since it came out)

I just cancelled road and track and motor trend. i won a magizine thing for 2 years in 6th grade for both of thses ever since ive been buying them but rarley read them… I might stop import tuner as well…
whatever time i have to sit and read it usually on Nicoclub.com/freshalloy/zilvia etc.

EDIT: just read the posts above me… i forgot abuot grassroots. The guy next door has been getting it for a while (couple a years i think) every now and then he’ll dump a pile of mags on my porch, actually just flipped through one 20 minutes ago. Great mag :thumb

My two favorites lately are Hemmings Muscle Machines and Hemmings Classic Car. They have well written interesting articles and they take a while to read.

I also get Hot Rod, Car Craft, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, 5.0 Mustang, and Off Road Adventures (free subscription).

Lately 5.0 Mustang has sucked. Its all new shit now and it bores me to death.

Car Craft at times seems like high school kids write it.

I also pick up alot of other magazines at the store to read and just havent gotten subscriptions to them.

I got a subscription to RCE for christmas, possibly one of the best presents ever.

out of the tuner mags sport compact car was the only one I ever thought was worth reading. I do have a subscription to honda tuning and I thought it had a lot of potential when they got a new editor but frankly its now worse than ever.

Grassroots and sports car are really all thats left. Those and keeping an eye on speedhunters.com and windingroad.com keep me entertained.

John Phillips writes good but his humor is hit or miss and generally as dry as Gin, however Arthur St. Antonie seems to go up my alley and allows you to come up with your own opinion on the matter as you read, while stating facts in an easy to read manner. - Motor Trend.

Angus Mackenzie (also M-T) always comes from the left field to give you a new perspective on something you though you new.

Import magazine writers are fun to laugh at, not with.

Whenever you come up here you are now required to bring me your old copies of RCE.

I have subscibed to SuperStreet since the late '90s I’m not sure if it’s better now or not.

You have excellent taste sir.

I can beat that, check yo email.

i knew it :rofl

im subscribed to car & driver, motor trend, road and track and automobile, all as gifts. cool to see the different opinions. i usually read 3/4 of each one. i dont care enough to read into any of the biases, i just like seeing the facts and general opinions.

i get hondatuning and ol’skool Rodz, both are good but small. i like ol’ skools style and diversity of rides. hondatuning seems to be the same stuff every mag but i keep reading it.

Archie unfortunately most members tend to skip over the pages that have words on then straight to the the ones with import models and pretty colors.

The discussion about specific writers may not work too well.