Car overheating in the winter?!!?

Hey guys
I have a 92 S13 w/KA24DE. Recently when it is really cold out… I start my car and my temp SKYROCKETS to the point that I have to just shut the car off. I mean the needle goes right to the top.

Popped my hood and the rad fluid thats in the reservoir tank is bubbling hot and one time i even had fluid pissing from the top of the rad cap.

I’m wondering if this is a result of my thermostat being toast? Anyone got any other ideas. Seems like when its warm enough… like -8 or above it will run high for a moment then the temp will drop (thermostat opening???)

Please shed some of your wisdom on me guys… this is my only set of wheels and i need it to last…

had a similar problem when my waterpump was on its way out and replaced that and the thermostat…runs fine now…

Touch both the upper and lower radiator hoses when the engine is warm and the car turned off. They should both be warm. If one is cold, you may have a thermostat that’s stuck closed.

Its probably the thermostat (as mentioned) stuck closed. As you say, it only happens below -8. So either your coolant is mostly water and freezes or your 'stat sucks generally, or teh water pump is gone. My guess is your 'stat.

Make sure you don’t break the front cover when you put a new 'stat in though. Believe me, its a PITA to even find one.

my RX7 was over heating but it was because all of the air holes for the rad were filled with snow. cheak that.

I posted a picture of the FSM page pertaining to the thermostat here:

Can anyone shed some light as to HOW i get that thermostat out?

Is it safe to LEAVE it out? or should I just replace it?

Also, do I have to take the whole fan assembly out to get to the thermostat?

thanks, i apprecate the helpful answers

OK guys…

got a leak and i can’t see where its coming from… looks like around the water pump so like you guys said…

now is there any “frost plug” around that area? I know with some engines they have frost plugs in order to prevent the block from overheating and damaging the engine… I’m hoping it would be one of those rather than having to replace my water pump…

could anyone shed some light as to if there are any “frost plugs” in the area around the water pump and under the thermostat housing? or right around the bracket area for the alternator?

thanks

I’m having a similar problem with my car overheating and I’m pretty sure its the waterpump, but maybe you can shed light…I was driving home the other day and i notice my engine is overheating like mad so i pull over to the side of the road…eventually it gets to the point where i call for a towtruck (if thats how u spell that) and he brings my car home…now when i start the car it sounds as if the my timing chain is scraping against something…but this may clearly be wrong…that just helps me describe the sound…im prolly gonna change my waterpump because i know there is a crack in it but what do u guys think the weird chain scraping sound could be/ could be caused by…also my car is burning a mad amount of oil and at first i thought this was due to the overheating…but it does it as well when i just turn the car on…shed some light…
thanks…
its a 90 btw…

if that rattle goes away after it is hot, it is more than likely your timing chian is stretched given that it is a 90. Even after the engine warms up if it is stretched bad enough it will still make the noise. If it is the chain get a newer motor or someone on here to replace it generally it is around 800 for a shop to do it. My 89 has the same problem

Cheers

Bryce