car wont rev over 5000rpm

s13 sr20det motor in an s13 chassis, manual tranny

just like the title says , i can get the car to rev over 5k, it was intermittent but it does it all the time

the car will accell normally to 5k then the spark will get cut and it will rev limit at 5k , however if i am to have the throttle at 10% or less it will go above 5k but when the pedal is pressed harder then it will drop right off to 5k

i have tried the 5th gear sensor and it doesn’t seem to correct the issue, i have also pulled the codes from the ecu and there is no codes present
im kinda oat a loss right now, i have verified all the grounds and such made sure power is were its supposed to be, i have ruled out lack of fuel.

i have searched around other forums and i see this issue exists but there never seems to be a post stating how the issue was fixed

any help would be appreciated on this matter, its really starting to get to me

farmer

have u tried to swap the cas?

at 5000 are u sure its spark and not fuel ?

id say swap ignitor, cas, coil packs, ecu, all one by one and see whats doing it…

also, is it all 4 cylinders loosing spark?

its loosing fuel

as it hits 5000rpm the fuel pressure drops off

it also sounds like a stock sr rev limiter fuel cut

all 4 are losing spark, fuel is still thee because the turbo stays in boost from the fuel dumping into the motor, i have switched the maf and ignitor and spark plugs so far

farmer

how does the turbo stay in boost from unburnt fuel ? im assuming unburnt cuz there is no spark ? am i correct?

sounds like a tough one to me, have u traced maf wires all the way back to the ecu?
make sure no shorts anywhere !

the loss in fuel pressure, is that from a bad pump ? shitty regulator? clogged fuel filter?

start with fixing that fuel issue, then work on the spark issue farmz mentioned…
sounds like u got more the one issue here?

is this car running cat or test pipe ?

test pipe

the fuel pressure drops off abit when the car is acting up, but i think its becsue the ecu is tell the car to dump fuel in.

oh ya one more thing

when i start up the car and rev it , it will rev right up the the factory red line , but whn it gets drivin then it does the 5000rpm deally and will continue to do it

farmer

i think it has something to do with the ecu, if there is an issue on fuel you should have noticed the drop at neutral but you are not, so something is limiting your rev to go beyond 5k point.

front what i am reading on zilvia this is a common issue , i have read 8 dfferent post with people with the same issues , but they never post what fixed it

farmer

Do you have another CAS handy?

FPR? Maybe.

fpr is aeromotive and appears to be working normally, i will try replacing the cas and see from there but, i dont want to start throwing parts at the car and spending tones of money on "could be " parts. i down loaded the sr20det fsm and will be testing parts this weekend

farmer

no no, dont buy anything…find a buddy with a running sr20 car to stop by, and try and use a process of elimination …

I’ve had a car act like that from spark blow out. Spark plug gap was too large with the boost raised. It wasn’t always exactly at 5000rpm, but it was in around there. Would only do it under full boost.

Can we have some more info about the car’s setup?

i guess there is no hardcore techies on this board anymore, just part swappers

i do appreciate the help and advice dont get me wrong, but i know this probem is quite technical and i dont see the validity in swapping parts till the issue goes away and calling it fixed.

farmer

Threadjack
if the spark blows out, would a wideband read rich or lean? I’m curious because my car is acting similar to this. /threadjack

vehicle setup is

stock sr20det
stock fuel injecotrs with after market aeromotive fpr
megan manifold,
stock turbo (running stock boost 8psi)
megan dump pipe
bee-r exhaust with test pipe (3")
stock ecu and fmic
hks bov
range 7 plugs (gapped at .24)
thats about it

farmer

@bmart:
Should be lean, unburnt fuel will show more oxygen.

check the main ground where the battery goes… thats the ecu ground if thats not grounded it causes all types of problems.

another check the pigtail wires that go to the cas i was having problems where the car would sputter under boost,cut out over bumps etc… and it was the wiring i guess over time it got britle and broke. i found this out by just moving wires around

gl with ur quest sir

also ur ecu… check if its the right code

i will check the grounds when i go home, i will also run a new ground from the batt ( mounted behind the pass seat ) to the engine compartment

ecu is code 62 i belive