running lean/rmp limiter

ok welll…i want to know if there is a quick way to tell if im running lean, i know i can beat the **** out of my car turn it off and check the plugs, but im not a big fan of turning a car off rite after i beat it with a turbo that mite get hurt…just woundering if there is any other way to check without using a emmisions machine.

now i have came to relize that on my sr i dont have a speed limiter…i went way past 180 the other day and i was still going strong…i thought then if i dont have a speed limiter …would i have a rev limiter…to tell u the truth i dont wanna try to take it to 9000 rpm to find out. i dont think my car would like me to much. any other ways to check??

Thanks

Also quite interested in knowing when the stock SR will top out or if theres a rpm limiter or speed cut? Not yet willing to push it past 180 until i get better suspension.

Jack the rear end in the air and let er rip to 9000… in the air with no load you should have less chance of damaging it… MY SR has survived at least 1 9000rpm gear shift on the highway… without rocker arm stoppers

As for running rich… any smoke? any reason why it would be?

If the timing is good, and the idle nice, O2 hooked up, why would it be running improperly rich

I don’t know about your SR, but with my KA all I have to do is press the clutch, place in 5th gear, and rev. The tach bounces at 5500 RPM’s (KA, not sure about SR) in 5th, which means the car is rev-limited in that gear at that RPM. I bet that’ll work in the SR too…

If you end up having no rev-limiter, make sure to watch your tach closely when losing traction at the top of 1st etc, don’t want to be taking her into the red… :wink:

Depending on how your SR was set up/installed etc the speed and/or rev limiters could have been eliminated right from the start.

Its a known fact that the speedo in the 240 does not read correctly/accruate @ high speeds (in my car, anything past 110kph). If my speedo says Im doing 165kph the ECU is only reading 140kph throu the Diagostic Port etc.

So when you think you’re doing 180… you’re really not (hence why you think you went past 180). My speedo will go into the odometer before the speed cuts.

As for rev limit. Factory is like 7500/7600rpm “hit a few times in 2nd”. I’ve also went to 8500rpm with a Blitz Tuned ECU when it was lent to me once.

your welcome… that ECU sure is fun eh?

well my car does not have no o2 sensor. at the moment…so i just want to know if that would make me run lean? it is a next investment as of friday with a new exhaust.

i will try to get it to 8500 and once. no more. lol dont want to mess anything else.
as for not getting speed limit, well i was in 5th gear at about 6000 rpm and my needle was alot past 180 thats for sure

Not having an O2 Sensor will make you run stupid rich… You must be getting some horrible fuel milage dude… I doubt you’ll have any lean issues :wink:

skinny O2 for 62 ECU (redtop and early blacktop) and fatty for E5 (late blacktop S13)

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=157509

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=124479

I got an extension with only 1 bung, the wrong one, so when I swapped it this time I put an extra bung on my extension and used teh proper O2 for my 62 ECU

(Got any pictures of yours Jeff - 2 bungs that is)

yea i have the e5 ecu and i have big bung in my downpipe. anyone know cost and what not?

Wrong, even with a KA where it limits to ~5500 rpm with speed limiter if you jack it up and let her rip, the momentum from accelerating 0-5500rpm will proper the drivetrain way past the limiter, I have done this.

Also you wont make it much further than 8000 in 5th on the highway, given certain conditions you might, in 5th gear if you are running stock sidemount/turbo. You need a bigger turbo/higher cfm in order to stay in boost/make power to go that fast even if its just 7psi.

If you wanna check if its running lean, buy/borrow a wideband. There are countless reasons it could be running lean at times even if the timing is nice and idles fine.

expand; where you say “proper” do you mean propel

so your saying with no load, there is no rev limiter? I would have assumed that worked on an elecric signal

isn’t the redline 5500 (on KA) and rev limit 6000ish? its been years since I drove a KA

The rev limit (redline) on a DOHC KA is actually 6,900 RPM.

The ECU is supposed to limit the RPM’s in 5th (and I think 4th too, not sure) to 5,500 RPM’s; this acts as a secondary speed limiter. By the time you’re at that RPM in 5th gear, you’ll be over 200km/h anyway.

The first limiter, monitored by the speed sensor - pin 32 I believe - on the ECU, limits your speed to a theoretical 180km/h, usually shows as 181-190km/h on your speedometer however.

Oh, and auto’s have no speed limiter (because of their ECU).

What Vlad’s saying is with no load on the motor, the wheels will spin up way too fast for any kind of system to keep track of them.

Nissan rev limiters are odd. They are a rev-over limiter. Essentially, it’s not a fuel cut or ignition cut at a specific RPM, it’s duration over a certain limit.

IIRC it’s anything over 6,400 rpm for a duration of 400 rpm or more on a KA.

So in theory you could hit a limiter anywhere between 6,400 and 6,800.

Hitting a speed cut after a minute and a half of flooring it on the highway isn’t really that interesting.

And I thought automatic 240s didn’t have a speed cut on account of them being so slow :wink:

Yes I did mean propel sorry, I was in class at the time. And yes that happenes with a fully functional rev/speed limiter, it still kicks in you can hear it but the speedo just flies and pins itself to 6 o’clock. On a sidenote I did this without wheels and just lug nuts over the rotors on the back, I figured it’s safer than if having your car fall off the blocks and than try to launch itself. I wouldnt reccommend spinning your wheels that fast in the air, in case of a constructive vibration interference the springs might absorb it and something might randomly shake out of control on old cars such as 240s.

you can go up high in fourth…my sohc limieter hit in around 6300-6500rpm and heres a picture of me going 180 in fourth at 6200rpm

thats me in 5th hitting speed limiter in my sohc but now in my sr, the needle goes way down there almost around if it could. i dont have a cut at alllll anywhere im not running big/small tires either. 205/60/r15 teardrops. i just want to know if i over rev or misshift onetime im not gunna …well u know what to my sr…i would $***

now for it running lean, i think it does. its running pure stock everything accept no o2 sensor. im worried i dont like that.

pull your plugs and see how they look. If your convinced the motor is running lean, and if it actually is, you’ll be able to tell right away form reading the plugs.

there is no chance seeing how i have no o2 that it would be a rich idle but a lean boost? im not gunna boost the jazz out of my car and shut it down right away lol, but i dont know if u can still tell even after u let it idle for a min.

#1 - buy an O2 Sensor (Z32)

#2 - buy a Wideband Unit.

Or keep driving it now and contiune taking chances.