Car Won't Start, update Oct 3

So I tried to start my car, however it won’t even turn over. It’s had a blacktop swap (done before I bought it) and supposedly it was run with that engine for a few months.

I can hear the fuel pump come on and a few other things, as well, all the gauges light up, etc. However, I can’t even hear the starter trying to turn it over. I have another thread about my clutch (which might be part of the problem with it not starting), but I felt since this was a seperate issue, I would make a seperate thread.

Things of interest, when I turn the key to start it, the tach sometimes bounces up to like 5,000 back to zero, and back again several times, like a bungie cord, and sometimes doesn’t. Also, there’s a weird ticking sound coming from in the fuse box. It’s intermitant. Umm, I think that’s about all the bizaare things that happen when I try and start the car… Any help would be appreciated. Things to check, etc.

clicking is a relay

was the car an automatic before?

try another harness, my tach was messed for a long time and it was the harness

No, it was stick, I think the starting issue may be due to the clutch. I’m gonna call the previous owner tomorrow if I can’t get it started, I’ll update with any info I figure out.

Ok, new info. The hum/buzz that goes through the whole car, sounds like it’s the fuel pump, in addition to whatever’s going on under the hood. I took the steering column apart today and I think the ignition is a part of the problem. I need to get a new key cut because the one I have is fucked. The ignition doesn’t go all the way back to lock when this stuff is happening, it stays one click before lock… And still, no starter sound when I turn the key… I’m gonna get the clutch working properly before I worry about that, in case it’s the cause of the problem.

Other info, the buzzing/hum corrisponds with the tach bouncing. Whenever it hum/buzzes the tach bounces to just over 5,000, and holds, then when the buzz stops, the tach drops back to zero… If that helps…

that problem usually comes from a bad starter, i read that up on nico. ill see if i can find it for you. and also did you connect your starter correctly?

Well that definately narrows it down. There’re live wires by the starter, but I couldn’t get under the car far enough to check for sure. I was just trying to get it to as few options as possible. I’m going to go out tomorrow and hook it up then. It was pissing down rain all day today so it was miserable to work (I’m doing it on the street outside my house grumbles)

soo wait… theres no wires connected on your starter at all?

From what I could see, in the angle I could see it, there appeared to be. But there were live wires hanging in the vacinity, which you can see here:

So I’m not sure if it’s just a hack of the wiring harness, or if they’re actually not hooked up, I’m gonna feel like a retard if they aren’t hooked up, but shouldn’t jump-starting it have worked then?

Well I was right, there are live wires going to the starter already. I’m going to pull it soon and see if it still even works.

Well I was right, there are live wires going to the starter already. I’m going to pull it soon and see if it still even works.

maybe you should wire everything up before you try and start the car, those wires can be the altenator wires, the one on the bottom looks like a plug that plugs into the altenator.

Everything was supposed to be wired. It was theoretically turn key.

Also, the wires that go to the starter and the wires hanging down come from the same wireloomed bundle that comes down from the top. They split, like those were the old wires, and the ones on there are the new ones. I can’t get at the alternator in the working conditions I have. Hence a shop becoming more and more likely. I’m trying to get a hold of the guy I just bought it off, so I can ask him what could be up.

Also, something to note, the tach is still doing the bouncy thing, albiet very intermittantly, and I can’t hear the fuel pump or any buzzing under the hood.

Ok. Latest info, car is in the process of trying to start now, so rock on for that…

So here’s the deal. The starter clicks, and tries to turn the motor (you can see the fan move about an inch) but nothing more. Still getting power to all my accessories etc… Any thoughts?

Does the battery have voltage? Make sure its got enough.

I was boosting the car with another one, reading 12v or damn near, pleanty of power. I’m wondering if it’s something in the ignition wiring, I’m going to check for spark tomorrow, and if I’ve got spark, I’m bringing the starter to a shop to get it checked out.

So I tried to start my car, however it won’t even turn over. It’s had a blacktop swap (done before I bought it) and supposedly it was run with that engine for a few months.

I can hear the fuel pump come on and a few other things, as well, all the gauges light up, etc. However, I can’t even hear the starter trying to turn it over. I have another thread about my clutch (which might be part of the problem with it not starting), but I felt since this was a seperate issue, I would make a seperate thread.

Things of interest, when I turn the key to start it, the tach sometimes bounces up to like 5,000 back to zero, and back again several times, like a bungie cord, and sometimes doesn’t. Also, there’s a weird ticking sound coming from in the fuse box. It’s intermitant. Umm, I think that’s about all the bizaare things that happen when I try and start the car… Any help would be appreciated. Things to check, etc.

clicking is a relay

was the car an automatic before?

try another harness, my tach was messed for a long time and it was the harness