Help!!! one of the most complicated problems! 1989 240sx

… The problem is… about “STARTING UP MY CAR” okay first and for most. I putted new spark plugs / wires, got a [junk yard used battery] (Junky stuff). New negative cable for the battery post. Putted a big jug of gas into the fuel tank. Things im missing, no water pump, missing fuses, no belt running to the alternator pulley and water pump etc. Alternator could be shiety or starter? Results= when i try starting the car all I can hear is the car cranking, as I hold the key down to start, the car cranks the gauges lights up, strangely the red tail lights at the back light up too. When I let go all of the lights turn off, leaving 2 bright clear light glowing which I dont really know what it is it’s right beside the restart button. I think its a clock? Second there a red light shining below the battery sign in my dash. I been getting alot of different answer, people say its alternator this or battery that its got to be one of them…!!! Well any solution please PM me Tommorow I am going to try too boost my car, to see if its the shiety battery, if not than there 100 more solutions out there.
So please, help me out SON. You can be a hero in reviving this 240sx

could be both man, Sounds like a battery problem to me, just because things power up when you crank. But im not really sure, Boost her and see what happens. If its a junk yard batt it prob frozen or somthing

you have no belt turning the alternator so nothing is charging your shitty junkyard battery so obviously your battery light will be on.

Im buying belt today and putting it on…

This is hardly one of “the most complicated” problems. Closer to a problem for someone who doesnt understand what an alternator/starter/battery/motor does and is trying to fix it themselves.

Why would you try and run your car without your water pump working?

“Putting” is what you do to a golf ball, I believe the word you are looking for is “put.”

How could you know if the alternator is shitty? It’s not even running!

The starter is what turns your motor over. Your motor is turning over. If it was broken, your motor would not be turning over.

Your car has a restart button?

Does it have little numbers on it that seem to change every minute or so? That would be a good clue as to whether it’s the clock. If your battery has been dead you may see something that looks like this: 12:00 or maybe 12:01

Like pearl said, if your alternator is not working, of course the battery light will be on. The battery gives 12V, and when a car is running, the voltage should be 20% higher, or 14.4V - because of the alternator, which you don’t even have hooked up, which is why the light is on.

It doesn’t sound like it’s either of them. If your battery has enough juice to turn the motor over, it will most likely work. Why don’t you try putting your car together completely before you try and diagnose problems?

You may also want to actually learn something about how a(n) engine/car works before trying to fix it yourself or ask questions here, because with the information you have provided, we can only take wild guesses.

I missed the part where u said u didnt put the belt on :?

He want to make sure his engine starts. Having belts or not does not make a bloody difference. I fire engines all the time with nothing hooked up just to make sure they work before I go any further in reassembling everything in the bay.

I think its his battery personally. But it could be many other little problems. I told him to boost the car and see if it fires, then check to make sure he has spark and fuel. Then go from there. There is no point in him buying belts and a water pump and wasting money if he doesn’t even know if the bloody engine is going to run.

Andrew.

I boost the car today and nothing happen the car still cranks and that all. Now im thinking it has something to do fuel pump or rail, getting more nasty and I don’t think i want to touch that. the engine could be seized too if there not enough engine oil to start. But 1 bottle of engine oil should enough shouldn it? Anyways people I need your help Please PM> ME all those expert mechanics out there

ok, if your water pump isn’t hooked up, u are gonna run the risk of overheating/ blowing up your motor. :roll:

why don’t u check the level of your oil, with the dipstick provided by the manufacturer? and fill it to the level that the motor is supposed to run on. i had low oil once, and my motor started, but i could hear a horrible clanging sound. probably put 5 years damage just by starting it that one time.

u obviously have no idea about what u are doing, why don’t u send the car to someone who knows what they are doing, before u destroy your car?

i hardly think buying belts and water pump is a waste of money. if the car has no belts, u are gonna have to buy them either way, if u wanna drive this car safely/ reliably? and how much do belts cost? its not exactly something u will have to finance.

the easiest fix may be the missing fuses? why don’t you replace the fuses?? :idea: :idea: :idea: the fuel pump fuse may be gone/ missing, in which case, your car will NEVER start.

i’m with axlerod on this, and if u are too broke/ cheap to do these simple, cheapo repairs, then u better sell the car or let it sit until u can afford to have someone fix it for you.

i really don’t understand why u would want to start a motor with no water pump, if u are just asking for trouble, its gonna find u.

please fix everything people on here suggested u to fix, and then post your results. jump starting the car is probably the last thing on my list, if i was in your shoes. :oops: :oops: :oops:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

That poor, poor 240 :frowning:

If the car was turning over, why would you need to boost it? Again, if the engine was seized, why would it turn over? Your car will take 4 “bottles” of oil to fill from empty. You don’t need an “expert mechanic,” your problem is likely of the most simple in nature, you just need someone other than yourself to look at it. Read: someone knows something, anything, about cars.

Seriously, give your car to a professional before you really do wreck it, or hurt yourself.

Poor car indeed.

Why would you try and run your car without your water pump working?

“Putting” is what you do to a golf ball, I believe the word you are looking for is “put.”

How could you know if the alternator is shitty? It’s not even running!

The starter is what turns your motor over. Your motor is turning over. If it was broken, your motor would not be turning over.

Your car has a restart button?

Does it have little numbers on it that seem to change every minute or so? That would be a good clue as to whether it’s the clock. If your battery has been dead you may see something that looks like this: 12:00 or maybe 12:01

Like pearl said, if your alternator is not working, of course the battery light will be on. The battery gives 12V, and when a car is running, the voltage should be 20% higher, or 14.4V - because of the alternator, which you don’t even have hooked up, which is why the light is on.

It doesn’t sound like it’s either of them. If your battery has enough juice to turn the motor over, it will most likely work. Why don’t you try putting your car together completely before you try and diagnose problems?

You may also want to actually learn something about how a(n) engine/car works before trying to fix it yourself or ask questions here, because with the information you have provided, we can only take wild guesses.[/quote]

you were doing sooooo good to be the asshole moderator who has to bash someone with no experience, UNTIL

‘The starter is what turns your motor over. Your motor is turning over. If it was broken, your motor would not be turning over.’

ACTUALLY broken motors CAN turn over as well…
I know because i experienced it
broken valves, piston cracked, no rings, broken rod and it still turned over!

If you’ll read it again, then you’ll see that’s not what I said. I am aware that an engine with broken internals can turn over. He asked whether he had a bad starter. I implied that if your motor is turning over, the starter is in working order.

you seem to be aware of a lot of things, except not to know the common manners to help someone in need, and act like you trying to show off, just so you can satisfy yourself for 30sec…

With all due respect, whoever you are, this isn’t Two Guys Garage. The implication here is that a certain basic level of automotive knowledge is possessed by people asking questions here. And even if not, at least the willingess to listen and take advice should be requisite.

Don’t like it? Don’t play.

I am very helpful if

1. I am knowledgeable in the subject
  2. The person is trying to help themselves

This person has no clue about anything, and is asking questions no-one can answer without further information. We try to keep a certain level of intelligence here, skill and knowledge are not required - but some effort is.

This post was just rediculous… post something rediculous, get rediculous answers.

Plus CA’s are wood :mrgreen:

Axlerod: EDIT: “Ridiculous” :wink:

Carry on.

I am very helpful if

1. I am knowledgeable in the subject
  2. The person is trying to help themselves

This person has no clue about anything, and is asking questions no-one can answer without further information. We try to keep a certain level of intelligence here, skill and knowledge are not required - but some effort is.

This post was just rediculous… post something rediculous, get rediculous answers.[/quote]

no what’s ridiculous, is you trying to show off to someone who has no experience. Your tone is full of arrogance, and you are giving answers like he owns something to you and you pissed at him!
When in fact 95% of you mofos paid a shop to do your swaps…
and frankly swapping a sr into a 240sx is idiot proof. But when you only got google skills i understand that!

you know you are part of that 95% there…
who did your swap again?
I would be suprised if you knew how to do a brake change