A little advice is needed...

Hey guys,

for the last few days my car (1991 240sx) has had a hard time turning over. It started after a 180km drive to Cayuga.

this morning I tried to start the car, and no luck…ie no sounds, just all the lights light up, and nothing.

Any advice?

probably your starter

if it is your starter;
locate the starter
get a long stick (hockey stick could do) and smack the starter while trying to get someone to start the car. If it is a sticky/dying starter it will help it start temporarly.

mikes right.

ideally try to aim for the solenoid…

however anywhere should make it go

GT

thanks so much guys, any idea how much a new starter will cost? and is there any chance that it could be the fuel pump…oh any idea where the starter is located?

if it was the fuel pump the car would turn over but not start.
What you described sounds just like a starter that doesnt work.
Try get a rebuilt one rather than a brand new one, any starter shop should be able to do do it for you.

i bought a rebuilt for $100 plus core change. some places quoted me up to $250, but the $100 works fine. you’ll find the starter located under the intake manifold, closer to the tranny. its a large cylinder with a smaller cylinder attached to the top of it.

try checking your battery connection …

thats happened to me before… 50/50 if it would start or not… for the longest time I wondered why…

Then i bought a new battery & cleaned the connection thingys to make sure there is no corrosion

try push starting it … then you’ll know for sure if it is the starter.

could also just be a dead spot on the starter

I have a starter for a 90 240sx, i dont know if the 240’s starters are interchangeable between 89,90 -> 91-93

starters are interchangeable beetween all years of s13s, probly s14’s as well