Carbon Tax

New Old Man thread… i am becoming a conservative…a half-asian, Canadian conservative… omg.

So up here in Canada Prime Minister Trudeau is rolling out a carbon tax agenda that he didn’t campaign on.

http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/tbs/tp/climate/A1.htm

They are trying to impose this on a province by province basis. Many of the provinces (probably all of them) are fighting hard to avoid it. There is obviously no support for the new tax:

Honestly, this has tipped me over into being a climate-skeptic.

I think any reasonable person could concede that global warming is (or may be) real. It is also reasonable that human involvement is a contributing factor… however, in a nation with a relatively minor carbon footprint as Canada i cannot see any meaningful relationship between the carbon tax and notable environmental impact. To me, any impact to the climate would be negligible and difficult to perceive by any measure. However, would could be readily quantified is the negative impact to industrial competitiveness and the added tax burden on families and companies.

If you were paying attention to Ontario Hydro it has become another massive scandal where Ontarions are literally over-paying by a drastic margin. Our utilities and many other industries (gambling, alcohol sales etc.) are run arms-length from the government and essentially become a form of added taxation.

I have been thinking very seriously about moving to the US… I have a multi-year US visa and a clear visa-path for my family already. It looks like a move to Nevada, Texas or Colorado would reduce my taxes by a lot with the only increase in cost being health-care.

sigh.

:tup:

Climate change is real.

Thinking little changes here in the west while China and India will be doubling their carbon footprint in the coming years is nothing but a tax grab.

there needs to be a way to un-tin-foil-hat the opposition to these sorts of things.

i feel so lame saying things like ‘liberal-agenda’

Come to CO… we need some conservatives to offset the influx of Californicaters…

I’m pretty excited about things like this https://electrek.co/2016/06/14/all-new-cars-mandated-electric-germany-2030/

Germany switching all cars to electric by 2030 without any mention of power generation or power grid updates :lol:

I tend to agree with this. If the ‘Western’ countries really wanted to try to reduce emissions, something like a ‘Carbon-Tariff’ on goods coming from the worst polluting countries would make more sense. Although that type of policy would have its own set of headaches to go along with it, and would probably have zero-support,

to be clear. i didnt say climate-denier… i said skeptic.

just had an exchange with my brother where it warranted clarification.

such a confusing time to add such a tax up here.

China and India pretty much exponentially negate anything else the rest of the world does to help the environment.

I’m a skeptic, though I do believe humans play a major role in our environment. I read articles the glaciers are melting, then I read articles that the ocean level is dropping. The world goes through cycles over thousands if not millions of years.

Also climate change is heavily pushed by the gov’t and democratic party, using funds raised to… I just don’t give a fuck enough to even finish my thought.

Every time I start my car I’m pretty sure three trees die.

Lol, science.

THIS^^ my state (WA) wants to pass a carbon tax potentially increasing fuel prices by $0.25/gallon. They say, if it passes, they’ll lower state income tax by 1%… which is laughable because the county and cities will just raise their sale tax to stay at the current level.

Any initiative that favors taxation of emissions is a fucking money grab. You want to incentivize low emissions/alt energy? There are plenty of other ways rather than increasing taxes on everyone who have zero control on their emissions output.

also, I feel the people who vote in favor of these initiatives are people who share a 3 bedroom apt with 5 other people, work at a local co-op 2 blocks away that they can walk to, and spend the majority of their disposable income on weed.

I’m pretty convinced that mankind has accelerated climate change, but I’m still very skeptical of how much we can do to reverse it at this point. I’m especially skeptical when I see politicians claiming more tax revenue and bigger government is going to fix it.

One of my issues is HIGHEST TEMPS EVER [SIZE=1]in the last 100 years [/SIZE]for a planet that has been around 4 billion years.

Taxation is theft.

If there was a way to tax the air you breath someone would have figured it out … oh wait.