Career choices ITT

I’ve been thinking about this recently and realized that people are in their jobs for many reasons and circumstances, some love it, others hate it, some just like the money.

However we live and learn and hind sight is always 20/20. You’ve found out what you like more, you’ve seen what your friends or aquatints done and maybe you like what they do more.

If you could do it all over again, what career path would you take and why?

I’m expecting to see a range of responses with some people saying they would go to college for a different degree while others will regret going to college all together. :dunno

Personally I’d go back for an Engineering major or not go at all and pursue a trade career.

Discuss.

I wouldve attempted college.
Who knows where I would’ve ended up.

I got into modern welding today.

id be in alaska gold mining and making crazy inventions. honest to god. not even kidding about it

I’d have started out in network right away instead of support. More money in Networking…hoping to get a chance in that area of IT soon.

I do this now cause it’s easy and pays good with great benefits. Can’t complain.

I wish I didnt go to college and waste time and money and wish I had gotten into an apprenticeship right after high school.

I couldve gotten a plumbing apprenticeship back then but I had already decided to go to college. I had never given thought to being a plumber then but looking back Id probably be making decent money doing it.

I had a tech at my job telling me how he’s getting bored of his career as it’s the absolute the same day in and day out for the last decade and he still doesn’t make 6 figures, while his old HighSchool buddy has always been in sales and now has gotten a job selling surgical equipment to hospitals and resides as the expert of the equipment during operations telling surgeons how to use the machine.

Half a mil a year on slow years, he says :rofl

I Wish i would have stayed in school when i was 18. Id have a great job.
16yrs from being retired but i was young, dumb, and full of cum. sooo i quit school and chased that pussy and money…

Now i work in a factory but i plan on quiting that job around june and moving out of state. I have a great job but its just somthing i want to try i dont want that What if question for the 2nd time, when im 40 or 50. I guess we all live and learn in our own ways.

I would have taken high school and college more seriously. I would love to go to med school or pharmacy school.

I would have also taken college more seriously. But I would have pursued the same degree/end goal as I already have.

Really wish i could get out of this dead end state job the pay is fucking terrible. Cant go one week to another without hearing your job maybe at risk. REALLY thinking about trying to get into culinary school…

What about that chip plant up in Malta? Isn’t this supposed to help our area out with jobs. I know you’ve kind of ruled the railroad out but you really should look into the car department when they hire again. They Atleast have set shifts you can bid so you can be on a regular routine of coming and going to work.

Lets see, I left the shop last night at 11:00, fell asleep at 12:00. got up at 4:45 to be in the office at 6AM becasue of a network change what could stop access to a production farm I administer. My sole job today was to come in, open a web page that resides in my farm, verify it works and thats it. If it didnt work I say on the conf call, “It doesnt work go fix it”. thats it. I could do this from home, on my cell phone, or anywhere in the world, but they said I had to be here. Furthermore, why am I even involved? ANYONE already on site, aka the people making the change, could have tested it too.

I am sick of following in moronic foot steps and wasteful, piss poor “business” decisions my “superiors” make for me, in order to get a paycheck.

If I were to do it again, I would steam roll my way some how, some way into a management position where I could make my “peons” actually feel valued and enjoy working for me. AKA start my own business right from the get go.

FUCK that. 50+ years of the only life you are given, pissed away.

No thanks

Im going to keep my eye out for that area.

Do you even have a clue? No. 50 years of employment at the railroad? No fucking way would that ever happen. If you have any knowledge of the railroad I would love for you to enlighten me on it.

:rofl

Sorry I missed the career seminar they held on the last Thomas The Train episode I watched.

The reply was another blanket statement you eagle eye you. No fucks given wither it be the railroad industry, chip fabrication, grease monkey or what ever. A regular routine of coming and going to work for anyone with more self worth than a brick would and SHOULD want something better for themselves after coming and going day in and day out doing the same shit for any longer than 5-10 years.

YUTROLLMESOMUCH?

Actually, this. I know a couple girls going for pharmacy (and my sister-in-law) and they can make RIDICULOUS money. But, the school is hard and it’s like 6 years.

I wish I had gotten into something medical as it usually pays much better than everything else.

Work to Live not Live to Work

First, I would not have wasted what little time I did spend in College. College is NOT for everybody, and people should realize that.

Second, I would have tried to open up my own business when I was young, way before family and financial obligations start to rule your life.

Can’t bitch a whole lot though. I am in an industry that I like, not going hungry and have a roof over my head. Just wish I was working for myself…