CarPC

Has anyone done a CarPC install or is planning on one in the near future?

u mean like this type of thing? http://carputers.org/?q=node/80

Yes. I’m already a member on MP3car.com. Actually, I’m using my CarPC right now posting this. It’s not installed as of yet though.

i was looking around on that site a little bit, but i dont fully understand yet. im pretty sure its just about putting PC’s and mac’s into cars. I’ve got a pocket PC that me and pat will hopefully be making a cable for so i can hook it up to the consult port. thatz as far as I’ve gone so far tho. my dad ordered an OBDII bluetooth adapter for his pocket PC to hook up to his audi. its pretty baller if u ask me, lol!

what have you got planned for your car?

I don’t have an exact ETC yet, but without too many details I’m working on something to replace the two Radio Banks in the 300ZX.
I sent Shorteaz and Hanzzzzz some early pictures of it, but after seeing the little screen features in Shorteazs car plus play around with the GPS Nav system in my friends new TL, I’m looking to make the system a lot larger.
Good thing about it is that you don’t have to put a separate computer unit far away from the screen.
If you’re willing to wait, then I should have some solid details about it in a couple months.
If you’re not, you’ll be sorry you didn’t wait… hahahaha, j/k
But let me know how that goes and MAYBE you might want to change.

BTW, it doesn’t encompass that stupid controversy between PC and Mac… I only believe PC is the way to go anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

My CarPC Specs;
Display - MP3Car 7" Transflective TS (see MP3Car site store for info) but am looking to get the www.digitalww.com DWW-6500 Double Din unit this summer and sell the Transflective.
MB - Commell Mini ITX LV675X w/ SPDIF out for my 5.1 Performance Teknique Amp w/Optical input
Processor - Pentium M 1.5 GHz
Memory - Samsung 1GB DDR RAM
HDD - Toshiba 100GB
Video - Radeon 9250
Audio - OB AC97 5.1
Drive - Panasonic USB Slotload
WIFI - PCMCI Mini Wireless card 54GB - Toshiba/Askey
GPS - G33 BU353
AM/FM - RadioShark (not required when converting to DWW-6500)
Bluetooth - Future considerations TBD
Case - C138 Black Mini ITX Case - 8"W x 8.5"L x 4"H
OS - Windows XP Home SP2
Front End - RoadRunner
PSU - DSATX (see MP3Car site store)

wow, ur car computer is better then my desktop, lol

wow heard my friend talking about this at the shop and that crazy wild… so what about the net connection isnt it by satilite an how much does that stuff cost? the net is probably gunna kill no?

There’s free WiFi WAN available in a large chunk of downtown. You can drive around with free WiFi. Shame you’re gonna have to pay for that service soon. Other than that, there are free wireless networks all over from people that just don’t secure their connection.

lol funny i was just gunna say something like that. the whole of downtown will be wireless soon i heard.

i was driving around the other night and my friend turned on the wifi on my pocketpc for curiosity sake. on the average suburban street you can pick up about 5 private wifi networks and at least 1 of them wont have a password.

im surprised all of the ones in my subdivision have passwords on them

The downtown area of Toronto was intentially set up for open Wifi for a certain area with intentions to expand it. There’s lots of places to find open sources - truck stops, hotels and other businesses. Driving around looking for an open source is called War Driving.

I forgot to mention that I also have a new XM Radio that can be integrated later. Also have a 15" flip down ceiling display that may be attached to the underside of the rear hatch for those times when parked at the beach or park.

Yeah… everywhere is setup to expand to free open Wifi now. We’re working our way to a WAN Wifi network where people can connect their GPS systems to online maps anywhere and people will have Wifi phones instead of GSM/GPRS/Trimode/etc phones to dial out regularly. Various towns have already put up Wifi access points at different places. Primarily for their Citycams right now. A few little downtown blocks is just an intro to a huge expansion, and in one heavily populated jurisdiction.
Oh, and I’m talking about continuous Wifi access from the same WAN. Not bouncing around to different Wifi LANs as you drive around.

Now, this XM Radio. It can be integrated to what exactly?
15" flipdown. Get some pimp my ride style going with a projector behind your rearview, a pulldown screen off the hood and optional lawnchairs with the open T-Top.

I’m interested in setting up one in my 06 altima.
but I need a old mobo and processor to get me started.
I think I’ll just do a cheapy laptop to stasrt and get a touchscreen.

micro ATX and a 1.5ghz chip p4 or whatever (amd ok too)
any body have anything?