cash for clunkers will be on hold LMAO

OOOOOOps :doh: :rolleyes: :rofl:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/30/auto…ex.htm?cnn=yes

WASHINGTON (AP) – The government plans to suspend its popular “cash for clunkers” program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases, congressional officials said Thursday.

The Transportation Department called lawmakers’ offices to alert them to the decision to suspend the program at midnight Thursday. The program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

The congressional officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which administers the program, declined comment.

Congress last month approved the Car Allowance Rebate System program, known as CARS, to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads. The program kicked off last Friday and was heavily publicized by car companies and auto dealers.

Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns about large backlogs in the processing of the deals in the government system, prompting the suspension.

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.

“There’s a significant backlog of ‘cash for clunkers’ deals that make us question how much funding is still available in the program,” said Bailey Wood, a spokesman for the dealers association.

Even before the suspension, some in Congress were seeking more money for the auto sales stimulus. Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote in a letter to House leaders on Wednesday requesting additional funding for the program.

“This is simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn,” Miller said Thursday. “The federal government must come up with more money, immediately, to keep this program going.”

Brendan Daly, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said they would work with “the congressional sponsors and the administration to quickly review the results of the initiative.”

General Motors Co. spokesman Greg Martin said Thursday the automaker hopes “there’s a will and way to keep the CARS program going a little bit longer.”

I thought this was predicted to run out very quickly before even put into effect…not much of a surprise

Also not much of a surprise that not enough forethought was put into the logistics of processing and tracking.

You mean that the government workers aren’t processing things quickly? There’s a shocker! :rofl:

hello, and welcome to our complete joke of a government.

last night on the news they said it was done or suspended. then 15 mins into it they said opps wait, this just in, cash for clunkers is now reinstated…

:bowrofl: government is retarded

Yeah, who would have ever imagined that when Uncle Sam yelled out “FREE MONEY” millions of people jumped at it…

i guess theyjust dumped 2 billion more dollars into the program. what a dumb idea

What about all these people buying new cars to get the rebate but still can’t afford them?

And who would have thought, the government owns these car companies now, they need to find some way to sell these garbage new cars, why not allocate tax money to entice people to come in and buy them? I’m not very politically saavy, but damn this just reeks of government controlling the people.

BTW Doesn’t look there is anything wrong with this car… Why not just resell them and continue making money???

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Cash-for-Clunkers-How-to_698940.htm

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:

1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:

1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt

exploder FTW

Forgot the link

Focus > Fusion :kekegay:

fusion>focus

it’s not even close.

I know I own one in the top 5 & it is not an Explorer.

Shaggy, Don’t you own one of the top 8 that’s not a Jeep?

Nope. I have a 93 :slight_smile: :rofl:

:rofl:

I guess mine isn’t on the list. It’s an '04, not just a Grand Cherokee :smiley:

buying a car for 4500, that isn’t worth 4500 isn’t a stimulus.

Death of a C4 Vette.

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTYL-h5_hb4”]YouTube - cash for clunkers[/ame]

Anyone else noticed all the Cash For Clunkers commercials that are being plastered all over the TV?

Not saying the C4 was the best Vette ever, but come on now…

whats next federal gov gonna install barriers for noise pollution

Ridiculous

:rolleyes:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/414273/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1