Cash for clunkers bills runs out of money.

So the congress throws more money at it.

House approves $2B more for 'cash for clunkers
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090730/us-cash-for-clunkers/images/bfb46c71-1ce7-406a-b988-5541697c8d69.jpg

WASHINGTON – The House has voted to rush an additional $2 billion into the popular but financially strapped “cash for clunkers” car purchase program.

The bill was approved on a vote of 316-109. House members acted within hours of learning from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the program was running out of money.

Called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS, the program is designed to help the economy and the environment by spurring new car sales. Car owners can receive federal subsidies of up to $4,500 for trading in their old cars for new ones that achieve significantly higher gas mileage.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said the new money for the program would come from funds approved earlier in the year as part of an economic stimulus bill.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House rushed Friday to pump $2 billion into a popular cash-for-clunkers program running near empty, with a leading Democrat saying “consumers have spoken with their wallets.”

A floor vote was under way at midday on the bill to refuel the car-purchase program. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer had said earlier that the additional money would come from funds Congress approved earlier in the year as part of a $787 billion economic stimulus bill.

Hoyer, D-Md., said that at the request of House Republicans — whose approval was required for swift passage — the bill would include provisions for government auditors to make sure the money was being spent as intended.

Republicans argued that Democrats were trying to jam the legislation through.

House Minority Leader John Boehner said it was unclear how many Republicans would support on the plan.

“There are a lot of questions about how the administration administered this program. If they can’t handle something as simple as this, how would we handle health care?” the Ohio Republican told The Associated Press.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the cars purchased under the program were much more fuel-efficient than what the bill requires.

But some lawmakers complained that many dealers were left to contend with a chaotic government-run program.

“The federal government can’t process a simple rebate. I’ve got dealers who have submitted the paperwork three times and have gotten three rejections,” said Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich. “What is a dealer supposed to do?”

There had been a $1 billion budget for rebates for new car sales in the program that was officially launched last week and has been heavily publicized by automakers and dealers.

Called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS, the program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle, in exchange for scrapping their old vehicle. Congress last month approved the plan to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads.

The Senate was not scheduled to vote on Friday but lawmakers hoped to win approval for additional funding next week.

Senate action is likely next week, making sure the program would not be affected by the sudden shortage of cash.

“Consumers have spoken with their wallets and they’ve said they like this program,” said Rep. David Obey, D-Wis.

House members acted within hours of learning from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the program — designed to help the economy as well as the environment — was out of funds. Under the program, car owners can receive federal subsidies of as much as $4,500 if they trade in their old car for a new one that achieves significantly higher gas mileage.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said the administration assured lawmakers that “deals will be honored until otherwise noted by the White House.” But he suggested that “people ought to get in and buy their cars.”

At the White House, press secretary Robert Gibbs sought to assure consumers that the program is still running and will be alive “this weekend. If you were planning on going to buy a car this weekend, using this program, this program continues to run.”

Gibbs would not commit to any timeframe beyond that.

It was unclear how many cars had been sold under the program.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., said about 40,000 vehicle sales had been completed through the program but dealers estimated they were trying to complete transactions on another 200,000 vehicles, putting the amount of remaining funding in doubt.

John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said many dealers have been confused about whether the program will be extended and for how long. Many had stopped offering the deals Thursday after word came out that the funds available for the refunds had been exhausted.

The clunkers program was set up to boost U.S. auto sales and help struggling automakers through the worst sales slump in more than a quarter-century. Sales for the first half of the year were down 35 percent from the same period in 2008, and analysts are predicting only a modest recovery during the second half of the year.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the program, North Palm Beach, Fla., dealer Earl Stewart said he planned to continue to sell cars under the program but would delay delivering the new vehicles and scrapping the trade-ins.

“It’s been a total panic with my customers and my sales staff. We are running in one direction and then we are running in another direction,” he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_go_co/us_cash_for_clunkers

Discuss.

what did ya expect ,obama and the rest of the govt are really gone change things

Well at least they’re trying to do something, and it seems like it’s working a little bit if they already ran out of the funding money…

This administration seems to be alot of talk, but not the thought to back things up…

right ,just throw money at the situation to buy time

How long before these new cars all these people are buying start being repoed?

Its gonna happen eventually because Im thinking these people that are driving old shitboxes dont have the money for brand new cars.

and who says that they’re not going to just get the money and bank it or buy something else? It is a good idea, but its not fool proof either. Their intentions are to put money back into the car companies, when in reality, they have no idea where that money is going…

What really gets me is that they are destroying millions of perfectly good running cars for this.

it would make sense to gut the cars for the parts then re-sell the parts to make profit instead of throwing them away.

The money is only good towards a trade. The dealers arent handing out cash.

They have to destroy the engine and tranny but the rest of the car can be parted out at the junkyard. I read an article in the paper about it a few days ago. They pour some chemicals into the engine to ruin it.

To me this program is a stupid waste of money but it wouldve been nice back in '05 when I traded in my '96 Blazer for a new Elantra. I probably wouldve gotten $4500 instead of $2000.

sounds like its costing more money then actually helping…

It is. Dealers were saying that they had to pay $150 for the chemicals and theyre only getting $100 for scrap cars. Then theres like 42 pages of paperwork they need to do.

they pour acid in the block to wreck the bearings till seizure occurs,and at the same time a chemical is added to the tranny to waste it …personally id love that job wreckin shit all day .but it is a waste as most semi newer cars are goin a lot longer than what people are tradin em in on

Its a shame that they are killing the cars. Seems VERY stupid to me. What if they have a guy with a new camaro or something that trades for a more ecomoical vehicle, do they kill that too??

no ,if the vehicle is worth more in junk than it is wholesale is how it works .if i understand it right …not all trade ins are under this thing

ahahaha amazing !

we can hardly pay our debts with social security pool but we got money for this

WORD !

Its basically just trading in worthless old shitboxes and getting money for them. Nothing with a higher value than $4500 is getting junked.
Theyre not going to kill a car worth $20k and give you $4500 for it.

its just a joke really …go to a local car auction there aint shit for used cars there …also the ones that are there are doin stupid money ,this whole thing may be helpin the new car stores a little but what about the used car guys

Well Northway is full of shitty old beaters most of the time anyway. Sometimes the same cars for months on end.

I used to go up there alot a few years ago. Sometimes there were a few decent cars but mostly just shitboxes nobody wanted. Most of the time the only really nice cars were in the Ford lane.

Ive seen cars not sell for $75 up there before.

Most cars there have 150k+ on them and are beat to shit.

The auction on route 5 in Scotia mostly had cars that wouldnt sell for $500 on a lot. My friend used to go there looking for demo derby cars.

c/p auction sucks …ya gotta go to waverly connticut an such for a decent car but its all the same