Cash for Clunkers.

With the Cash for Clunkers program coming to an end does anyone else see this as a huge waste? I mean the vehicles are completely destroyed why not just untitle them and sell them to the salvage yards at an extreme wholesale price? Discuss.

Defeats the purpose, They don’t want people fixing their clunkers. Instead buy a new car.

The plan back fired anyway, Domestics was turned in, “Imports” was sold

Although more imports may have been sold, cash was put in the pockets of US citizens and American car sales were also boosted from this. I don’t think anyone thought all people would run out and buy an American car…

Not even a million cars was sold.

Temporary solution to a long term problem.
the “clunkers” still have to be processed, transported and whatever from there.

Now a whole lot of people have even more debt on a new car :rolleyes:

Fuck this green shit.

Walking through the lot at Kenny Ross South tonight:

Ford Explorer - $40,000
Expedition $50,000
Ford Super Duty - $60,000

Instead of trying to lure people in with bogus incentives, they should think about reasonably pricing the vehicles they’re trying to sell. I mean, have you checked out the build quality of an American vehicle lately? Foon on the guy that drops 60 large on an F-250.

Did not know the expedition was still being made.

But anyway, Quik and I strolled through the dealers a few months ago,
The junk selling was above 25k+ :nuts:

The porsche dealer seemed reasonable :rofl:
Cayenne Turbo at 110K+

the funny thing is that the government is trying to help people out by giving them $4500 to get into a new car…

cliffs: here’s $4500 to go into $20,000 + debt.

in the long run its fucking people more. if you cant afford your shitty clunker now, you cant afford a new car with $4500 down

And the fact that the $4500 is coming out of Economic Stimulus package, which gets paid for by… taxpayers.

we have a shit load of them at work

i’m not destroying any of them, i don’t want anything to do with it

are you fucking kidding me? I didn’t realize people actually even paid money for Fords. I thought that everyone driving them either inherited them from some white trash family member they didn’t even know about. Or they gave them away at mullet competitions.

Ford rangers are about 23k

Honestly I thought the same thing… I mean the Expedition was a “Limited” with all the goodies, but the cheap leather seats and interior still didn’t justify the price tag.

Someone must be buying them considering Ford didn’t take any money off the government to stay alive . Unlike Government Motors

Please keep in mind as Im writing this Im just speaking my opinion off the top of my head. ((Putting on flame suit))

The govt gives $4500 dollars for a “clunker” destroys the engine,transmission and shreds it therefore "recycling it. How much does it cost to “recycle” the car ??

Why not let it be picked over in a yard before it goes to the shredder? Possibly making other “clunkers” not be “clunkers.” The clunker is still off the road and revenue can be made off the sale.

I can see Bj being busy in the next couple of months.

The other thing we pay for as taxpayers all these people and there welfare cars. I love when I was selling my dads cheap cars ($1200-$1500 cars.) I would get the whole “I have a welfare check to buy a car deal.” So why not “recycle” the good “clunkers” for welfare use? Make them un transferable Im sure there are some good cars in the lots out there that people could use.

I think the use of “clunkers” is dumb. Isn’t the idea of the program to get more fuel efficient vehicles on the road? Those being traded in aren’t necessarily “clunkers” as much as they are fuel-inefficient. Picking over for parts won’t help with fuel economy.

More like Cash-for-Fuel-Inefficient-Vehicles. Or more like Cash-For-A-Vehicle-That-Isn’t-Necessarily-Efficient-But-Is-At-Least-More-Effecient-Than-The-One-We’re-Giving-You-Money-For (or CFAVTINEBIALMETTOWGYMF for short).

Actually if the original version of the clunker law is still accurate, the businesses doing the shredding (whomever that may be) are allowed to part off and sell spare parts from the clunkers aside from the engine and the actual rolling chassis (as the VIN cannot be resused on an operable car). Should lead to a stockpile of spare clunker parts at least.

So they actually can sell parts off of the cars, Im under the impression that nothing can be removed from the vehicles.

From the cars.gov website

(2)
DISPOSITION OF ELIGIBLE TRADE-IN VEHICLES(
A)
IN GENERAL- For each eligible trade-in vehicle surrendered to a dealer under the Program, the dealer shall certify to the Secretary, in such manner as the Secretary shall prescribe by rule, that the dealer-(
i)
has not and will not sell, lease, exchange, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle for use as an automobile in the United States or in any other country; and
(ii)
will transfer the vehicle (including the engine block), in such manner as the Secretary prescribes, to an entity that will ensure that the vehicle-(
I)
will be crushed or shredded within such period and in such manner as the Secretary prescribes; and
(II)
has not been, and will not be, sold, leased, exchanged, or otherwise disposed of for use as an automobile in the United States or in any other country.
(B)
SAVINGS PROVISION- Nothing in subparagraph (A) may be construed to preclude a person who is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is crushed or shredded from-
(i)
selling any parts of the disposed vehicle other than the engine block and drive train (unless with respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts); or (ii)
retaining the proceeds from such sale.

I took a quick glance at the amendment to the law but did not see anything changing the above.

they do not want the engines trans or vin# back on the roads,the rest of the parts can be sold,most salvage yards are paying $50 to $200 for the cars,dealers must blow the engines & drill the holes in the trans so they cant be resold!

Here’s the government’s how-to on disabling the engines:

Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine. 1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate (SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.) 2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal. 3. Install the oil drain plug. 4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the vehicle to the desired area for disablement. 5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which should be sufficient in most cases. CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin. 6. Replace the oil fill cap. 7. Start the engine. 8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.) 9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour. 10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully charged battery, attempt to start the engine. 11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete. 12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no longer idle. 13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following: This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil. 14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.