catalytic converter question

Does anybody know the details on selling/buying a used catalytic converter?? I would be selling the stock main cat from the rx7 to someone else who is putting it on the same model rx7. I know there are legalities about shops doing this and installing them but what about a private citizen??

Its a violation of EPA law to sell a used cat. They have to go through a testing process before use which cost more than a new one.
heres the + side- Fed. EPA doesnt investigate anything thats not worth millions of dollars in fines. I dont think they even have local investigators.

No one see’s nuthin. Hell, running without a cat. is supposed to be a big no no but a lot of people still do it. Pauly is dead on though. As he should be, :wink: I’ve tried to get one from pretty lenient salvage yards with no success. But, you can get a pretty penny for a cat. (esp the newer ones) when you sell em to the guys that do strapping.

Its illegial to sell a used cat? whoops… i sold mine in ebay a while back…

I got mine off a subaru that was being parted out

I think it’s just illegal to install one. Thats why you can still buy them on eBay used- it states that they are for scrap use only. Salvage yards can’t sell them though. Install it- no one is going to know.

Not to thread hijack, but I have like 4 cats I need to get rid of, anyone know where I can get top dollar for them?