*New* NY Catalytic Converter Standards

So I received and email from Rockauto today about NY now requiring any sale or installs of catalytic converters after June 1st to meet CARB (California Air Resources Board) standards. Funny I never heard anything about this before (anyone on here know about it?) so I Googled it and found this on the NYS DEC website:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/87411.html

Fact Sheet Prohibition of Used Catalytic Converters/New Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Standards

6 NYCRR Part 218, Emissions Standards for Motor Vehicles & Motor Vehicle Engines

Section 177 of the federal Clean Air Act (42 USC 7507) provides the general authority for states to adopt the State of California’s low emission vehicle (LEV) program standards. New York State adopted California’s LEV program in 1990 with implementation beginning with model year 1993 vehicles. These standards are incorporated in 6 NYCRR Part 218, Emissions Standards for Motor Vehicles & Motor Vehicle Engines.
Pursuant to regulatory revisions completed in 2012, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (Department) adopted California’s aftermarket catalytic converter requirements. These requirements include a) the prohibition of installing used catalytic converters, and b) standards for new aftermarket converters. These requirements can be found under subdivision 218-7.2©. New York’s aftermarket catalytic converter requirements apply to all model year 1993 and newer on-road motor vehicles - certified by CARB, including vehicles with 50 state certification. Use of an EPA certified new aftermarket catalytic converter is still permitted on federally certified (not CARB or 50 state) and pre-1993 model year vehicles. Distribution centers located in New York State may continue to supply EPA certified aftermarket catalytic converters for sale outside of New York State.
Prohibition of Used Catalytic Converter Sales

Pursuant to 6 NYCRR Part 218-7.2©(2), and effective June 1, 2013, it will be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, advertise, or install any used, recycled, or salvaged catalytic converter in New York State. This prohibition will apply to all vehicle types and model years. A used catalytic converter is not a new aftermarket catalytic converter, or a replacement part as defined below.
New Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Standards

Pursuant to 6 NYCRR Part 218-7.2©(1), and effective June 1, 2013, it will be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, advertise, or install any new aftermarket catalytic converter in New York State that has not been certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
A new aftermarket catalytic converter is defined as being constructed of all new materials, is not a replacement part, and is not an original equipment catalytic converter.
A replacement part is defined as any aftermarket part which is intended to replace an original equipment emissions related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all respects which in any way affect emissions, including durability, or a consolidated part.
New aftermarket catalytic converters will be required to:

• Comply with a vehicle’s original emissions certification limits.
  • Be compatible with the onboard diagnostic systems (OBD II) on 1996 and newer vehicles.
  • Be covered by a warranty for a period of 5 years or 50,000 miles of use. The warranty will cover failures related to construction defects, performance defects, and OBD II compatibility issues.
  • Display a certification stamp or label on the catalytic converter shell. The label or stamp must display the CARB Executive Order approval number, the part number, date of manufacture, and proper installation direction.

Reporting Requirements

Manufacturers of aftermarket catalytic converters will be required to monitor warranty claims and submit semi-annual reports to the Department when warranty claims for new aftermarket catalytic converters exceed four percent or one hundred claims, whichever is greater, in New York State. The reports will be identical in format and content to those submitted to California. The lone exception will be the inclusion of New York sales data rather than California sales. The report must include the type of failure, the probable cause of the failure, and an evaluation of the impact on vehicle emissions.
Installers of aftermarket catalytic converters will be required to complete a warranty card in triplicate with the original going to the customer, one copy to the installer, and one copy to the manufacturer of the converter.
Enforcement

New York State Environmental Conservation Law under §71-2103 establishes the penalty structure of Part 218 violations at a minimum of $500 for a first violation, and up to $26,000 for each subsequent violation. The Department periodically conducts audits to ensure compliance with the requirements of Part 218.
As a vehicle owner, what are my options if my vehicle’s catalytic converter needs to be replaced after June 1, 2013?

Beginning June 1, 2013 for the subject model year vehicles, all catalytic converter replacements shall be either an original equipment replacement part or a California certified new aftermarket catalytic converter. Used, salvaged, or recycled catalytic converters cannot be installed after June 1, 2013 on any vehicle.

Just got that email as well. Rockauto is awesome. NY is not. :lol

TRUTH.

This is kind of interesting to me, because I remember when I got the Supra it had two so it would meet the crazy CA omissions regulations (since it was originally sold there). I really hope NY doesn’t get that picky about things too.

Got this email aswell, good info. Fuck NY.

between NY and CA its a tough call as to which state sucks more, i like NY but the way its run sucks…just another example of how they use heavy “regulation” in place of failed legislation.

Just get them shipped to another state like Vermont. Most inspection places don’t even look at dumb shit like that and inspections are often about who you know anyway.

I don’t think this applies so much to inspection, rather than sale. Of course if your car is being inspected the cat on it would be used, so they really have no way of claiming you purchased it that way or not. This seems to be more so it’s illegal to sell a used one in NY now.

You can’t sell it, but you can give it away for free, just charge the person you are giving it away to “shipping and handling fee”. Whatever the person will be doing with it, that’s their problem.

Problem solved.

Yeah that solves person to person sales, not buying from a company. Not to mention not a lot of people put catalytic converters up for sale if used, they usually take the scrap money its just less hassle.

who still puts cats on their cars?

rollin with my kitties cus im hard as fuck

I upgraded to mountain lions on my truck

if you run e85 the state should seriously give you a break on certain emissions equipment. Doesnt it burn a whole lot cleaner?

Delete all the cats!

I don’t see any way for them to tell how long a 49 state legal cat has been on the car, if it really comes down to it.

At inspection time they usually just throw the car on a lift, look at the brakes, check if all the lights work, plug in the scanner, and give me a sticker.

So glad I am moving out of the state this summer.

This.

The best cats out there.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=573&osCsid=0ec08257c721dd7f55032ef1803f6766