catalytic converter ?

My mechanic told me I may need a new one of these for my car. But I was told since I live in Butler county and don’t have emisions then I don’t need one. Can any one explain this to me?

if you dont have emissions for real, you dont need one. i thought they had emissions though.if you need it for visual, tell him to knock the center out(not that ive ever had this done but i hear it gives te car more go :x:

^ Thanks! The mechanic is in Allegheny county, but last time I got my car inspected (april 04) they only put 1 sticker on.

on a side note, youve been to gravity hill.i went too and there was a thread on here about places like that. some people didnt believe it.

oh yeah! That was very strange. The first hill you came too, wasn’t so much of a hill but a small incline, but if you drove a little more there was more of a “hill”. That was the part that awed me! Here I am car in nuetral stopped on a hill thinking I was going to roll backwards, but NOOO… it’s worth the trip out there. The 9-11 memorial is nearby also.

sightnsound has one for sale on here i think too

I have one for sale 50 bucks. I just called a shop in butler that a guy fro work is friends with. He said as of right now they only need a visual inspection. BUT with in the next year they will 99% probably be going to the ODB-II testing which is what allegheny county requires.

So if yuo buy a cat I wouldn;t recomend gutting it espeicially if you don;t want to replace it again next year.

Thanks, but if I buy one, what then. I would need to find someone to install it for me right? And how do I know if it would fit?
I know nada about cars… incase you missed it :wink:

exhaust shop can do that… should be cheap.

yeah an exhaust shop can do it. Putting it on should be cheep, charging for parts will depend. I know some of these local places charge 75- 100 just for a cat then they charge labor on top of that which is rediculous so watch out for that.

But you can purchase your own stuff and take it to most shops and say I need this put on. especially exhaust related shit.

hmm, i may have to take you up on it then. And we are sure it will fit correct?

Its 2. 5 in and 2.5 out, what kind of car and some one elas emay beable to answer that better…

1998 Acura Integra LS

Like I said it should fit it will just need adapters to fit it it to the stock piping which I’m assuing is around 2 inches or slightly smaller. I can meet up with you tonight or the next two days if you want it. In my for sale thread on this board there is all the info and pictures of it.

Is it new? because you can only put new ones in right?

brand new with paper work. I bought it two years ago when I was going to do My exhaust but then I didn’t know what I was going to do forced induction wise so it was on hold. I finally decided to wait got my header and put everything on about a month ago but I bought a new Cat same thing but with 2 1/4 in/out so it would be easier to hook up since the rest of my exhaust system was 2 1/4 piping.

Still in the box and everything sitting in my Den. You can touch it if you want …lol

ok that might as well have been japanese in that first paragraph. But let me get back to you on it. I may just be in. of course i would want to touch it first :wink:

Let me know. I work till 7pm tonight. Then I’m off the next 2 days as long as I don;t get called in tomarrow due to come one calling off. I can PM you my number if you like.

well i am leaving for CT on Thursday, but what I think I am going to do is wait until my engine light comes back off. They just worked on my car yesterday and shut it off for me. They also said if it comes back on, it’s probably the converter. I would assume if it’s going to come on it will this week while I am gone.

hey,if ur cats bad deuce it!:smiley: