Gutting a catalytic converter

what’s the easiest way to gut a cat? Is it a matter of jamming something down in there to get it all or out, sawzall? any input is appreciated…thanks :slight_smile:

air chisel and a long flat bit is what I used, was pretty easy

hmmm…that’s a good idea, i just don’t have an air chisel haha

too poor to buy a test pipe? wouldn’t you rather have the part to put back in when you sell or to sell straight up?

sell the cat on ebay for a hundred bucks and put a pipe in there

yes.

pry-bar worked best for me

QFT. Cars are actually now stolen just for the platinum that is inside catalytic converters. But if you really must, a BFS(big fuckin screwdriver) and a hammer works just fine.

hammer a pipe through it. That way it will pass a visual inspection as well.

been there done that, worked great. Better done off the car if possible though. lol

i’ll try a pipe…thanks for the input :tup:

+1, did a few bikes this way worked fine.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing this on, and why?

it will slow flow too… it creates a turbulent air chamber when you gut a cat and can rob power.

x2

the slowbalt. I’m also removing the muffler too, the exhaust sounds like shit and gets raspy.

Did you come up with this on your own or is this a well known Cobalt ghetto mod?

It just doesn’t seem like a very good idea, but I guess I don’t know for sure. I thought modern cats didn’t really cause much of a pressure drop. :shrug:

wait until you gut the cat then. even raspier when cold. i just got a used 3 inch with highflow cat and 2.5 bolt in. save some penies…buy one with a highflow cat from someone on css.net. then scrap your stocker. you will pass visual inspection and possibly make money off the deal.

You’re right.

Sell the cat, buy a test pipe or a high flow cat. The high flow cat would be best. Removing cats will not help with rasp.

maybe i’ll do that then, im definitley getting rid of the stock muffler though.