Whos got gutted cats?

I’m thinking about gutting my cats tomorrow morning. Mostly for the minimal performance gains, but admittedly for the sound as well. :giggedy

I’d like to hear from some people who have gutted cats. Is it worth the effort? Have you noticed a loss in low end power? How about sound, has the exhaust note gotten deeper or is it more raspy? I know sound varies by car, and I think my 3.0 V6 should sound pretty sweet with gutted cats. Let me know what you guys think.

what cats? :ninja

I dont have any cats. The car is louder without them.

sell the cats people are getting anywhere from $50-200 for them, then just get replacement pipes.

It will vary car by car. Without the catback it was one of the loudest I have heard for an import.

i had a new cat laying around just took a air hammer and a long chisel blade and blew the guts out. been running it like that with a o2 simulator for about 3 years now and have pass inspection on my 98 ;D

cats haha wat are those? ;D

Srsly, who has cats?

The car will be a little bit louder since the cat actually acts like a resonator in most cars. There really is much of a noticable difference in performance gains. Most cars need a little back pressure, so you may even notice a slight loss of power.

Just remember, the cat physically has to be there to pass inspection. Its just a matter of who you know :ninja

on a v6 it will sound like someone fartin on a snare drum …but if ya really want them out pull the cat dont gut them it will hurt performance rather than help as it will cause rolling turbulince in the exhaust and not scavenge right pull the cats off and weld in new pipe or get a off road pipe at least do it halfway right not halfassed and lazy…as far as n.y.s.i goes its all in who ya know ;D

Gutting the cats will add some sound and rasp to your exhaust and a slight loss in low end performance if its a NA car. if its a turbo car you have a turbo for back pressure and resonating out some of the noise. I recommend if you go this route to remove the cats completely and strait pipe it since it is about $100 per cat at the scrap yard and the strait pipe will be better for flow and scavenging exhaust gasses than a hollow chamber in the exhaust stream. The hollow chamber of a cat may even amplify the noise that you don’t particularly want. If you are worried about a visual emissions inspection, (which nobody does anymore if its obd2) Use a couple of resonators to pass off as cats. Your gonna get $175-200 for your cats anyway.

it wont make it that much louder with a turbo car, you will like the quicker spool and added hp with no kittys restricting it.

my truck never came with a cat untill later years :slight_smile:

I didn’t know cats were worth so much. I can definitely sell them and have more than enough for test pipes. lol

Z1 sells them for around $220 shipped I believe.

I keep my old cat for inspections, but I could probably sell it for $40. It’s funny when I go for inspection and the whole exhaust system is 3" stainless except for the rusty 2" factory cat.

I kept mine because the cobalt ss sounds raspy as hell without one. Then again i’ve never been a fan of loud 4 cylinder exhausts with the exception of the wrx’s boxer motor. :giggedy

my car is friendly to the environment. i have all my emissions control items intact and in 100% working order, but i can run open downpipe in about 5 minutes time.

You use exhaust cutouts?

why would you want to hurt an animal like that?

+1

your all sick!

i lol’d. :crackup