Cell phone peeps... which AT&T PDA/smartphone

Looking to spend under $100 on a two year contract extension with AT&T… something like along the lines of the Nokia e71x, Samsung Jack, Blackberry 8310 or 8900. Which is best and why?

e71x. The other ones are all outdated shitty models and Symbian is underrated. Great form factor too.

Thanks, that’s the one I was leaning towards, but so many people seem to love the blackberries… just wanted a second opinion. This site’s great for that!

I have a curve. I like it for what it is. A phone.

Blackberry. With your options, 8900.

I’m about to pick up an e71, my phone addict friend has had it for ~6 months and claims it is the greatest he’s ever owned. Plus, you can get it for $149 now with no contract. My BJII isn’t dead yet but I’ll probably grab it in a few days.

BBs make horrid phones IME, I would only get one if my employer forced BES on me. The Jack is pretty much what I have, its a solid phone for a WM phone, but the WM OS just doesn’t seem as quick and elegant as symbian.

e71 feels smaller in the hand, but has a better keyboard IMO. It feels heavier too.

The ATT Tilt 8925 can be had used for a good price.
It has GPS built in…I am running tomtom software which is pretty nice.
It’s a bit bulky but with GPS/wifi/bluetooth and all that jazz that’s to be expected.

Tons of hacked roms with added features. If you like that soft of thing. :wink:

You can get an iPhone 3G for 99 now I think.

Also if you get the Nokia or Samsung, you can put your SIM in another phone for a day or so and add unlimited internet for $10-$15 a month, depending on if you’re on a family plan. If you get a blackberry or iphone, it’s going to be $30 if you want to use all of their shit. It won’t work on the $10 or $15 plan.

Yep…that’s one major downfall for iphone and bb’s.
Samsung make great quality phones in my past experience.
Nokia…I’ve never been a fan myself. Though the symbian os is their edge.

Nokias are great quality as long as you get one that’s made in Finland. They have manufacturing in China now also for their lower end stuff. Needless to say, the quality is not up to par.

Nokia E71x question… not to hijack, but i’m on a family plan, i have the wife’s basic cell on my plan. if i get an E71, and add data would it still be $10-15 or do i get hosed just like i do on minutes and BS like i do now? IE: less minutes for more money ect just to have 2 phones. i have 200 text’s on each phone for $1.99 ea vs $10 ea for unlimited (we rarely ever go over, if we do it’s by 5-10 texts) trying to read through all of AT&T’s sales tactics is misleading. what they want to tell you vs. what you need to know are 2 different things.

You can add data for $15 but you can’t have the E71 as the registered phone on your number to do it. Put your SIM in a basic phone for like 2 days, wait til it shows up under your line on the Online Account Manager, then add Unlimited Media Net either online or by calling. After that, pop your SIM back into the E71 and enjoy cheap data.

I have the lg vu and have absolutly no complaints

can i change devices online after buying it (renewing contract) then do what you told me Joe? or would i have to buy it somewhere else to swap the SIM?

The online account manager goes by the phone you have your SIM in, not what you purchase using your number. All you have to do on there is use a different phone. If you want, just to play it safe, do the phone upgrade under your wife’s number if she’s eligible and you’re the one who wants data.

Buy one of mine :slight_smile:

so I picked up the Nokia E71x, and so far it’s very cool. Fast, nice looking, does everything I need it to, and calls sound great. Still surprises me how heavy it is when I pick it up. Not that I’m complaining, it just seems to be built very solidly - oh and it says it was manufactured in Korea…

Nokia is always a good look. Loved my old 6256i.

i live and die by Nokia, my 6300 went through the snowblower this winter… found it glowing in the front yard in a snowbank. bought a new housing, new ringer speaker, and a microphone to put into the housing for under $20 shipped and put it back together.