Celtic1982citleC's fully built 2006 WRX STI

Why are people so quick to get Sti if they seem to be so unreliable? :frowning:

big wings :runaway

Hanging out with Jays05, there was just too many fanbois who didn’t have a clue. Not sure if it was the wing or just knowing the car was AWD/TURBO or whatever. Everyone seems to want one which is wierd to me given the issues the stock block has.

i dislike STI’s, thats just me. but if i were in the market for an evo vs STI, id go Evo IX handsdown.

It’s a little bit “nicer” car than the Evo (it actually has side airbags) and the overall build quality along with fit and finish is probably a bit better. The Evo is FAR more mod friendly and can be pushed a lot harder without problems. The STI isn’t so much “unreliable” it’s just more prone to failure when pushed beyond its factory setup.

one of the biggest dislikes i have to the STI is subaru kept changing front ends on it with no other improvements, and that hideous blue carpet. both interiors seem cheap to me, but the evo is my preference.

They made one change during the live of the sedan, same as the Evo. Also, they made a lot of changes in the 06+ STI’s that aren’t reflected in the power numbers. My favorite being changing all of the shifter bushings…04/05 OEM shifters felt like absolute junk. Most Subaru dealers would order every one of their cars w/ the OEM short shifter option because the stock shifter was SO bad. My least favorite being the more “comfortable” liquid filled motor mounts to help absorb some of the “roughness” from the boxer motor. Mine broke first time at the track when I went over stock power.

the changes mitsubishi did on the evos i think improved the way they looked form the 8s to the 9s and the interiors were vastly improved from the base 8s to the base 9s with the addition of the black alcantara in the seats instead of that blue junk. but subaru made alot of changes over the model years and im not just saying on the STi’s WRX’s included since they were out when the Evo came here… they went from the bug eye, to the 04 sti liek travis, then that sweeping headlight design like yours, with subtle changes here and there, but durability remained the same, which wasnt so great from the start

Great post. I didn’t mean for my post to come off like I dislike STi but more pondering why some mod them without considering the prone to failure aspect. You and Jays05 know what your doing and shit happens but some of the fanbois don’t have that knowledge.

off topic… What happend to that kit with the white evo 5 or whatever # it was. I want it. :bowdown

I went through this thread, and I see no pictures?!?!?
WTF

Car is at my shop with no motor in it. I barely have time to eat lunch during these weeks let alone take pictures.

I’ll get something up tomorrow maybe when I tear the motor down completely and bring stuff to the machine shop for prep work.

The issue with subaru motors is the oiling path that feeds the mains and rods and the stupid factory oil cleanances that subaru runs on those bearing. Ungfortunately subarus enginners like to build high power turbocharged boxer motors and yet still machine uber tight oil clearances for the bottom end like you’d stick in a daily driven elantra. No reason for them NOT to open these up a bit. What subaru SHOULD do is get on the drysump bandwagon and ditch wet sump, like every other boxer engine runs(ferrari, porsche, etc). Even if they redesigned an EJ257 block JUST for the STi’s and other high end modles with it the extra $2K price tag on top of the 35+K you already pay for the car would be a HUGE improvement to reliability on the stock bottom end.

Yeah…and we should throw this god damn thing in the garbage since I’m going with a brand new turbo…don’t need this happening to me!

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

MORE PITCHURZZZ

That filter screen has long since found its way to recylcers. I took that piece out when the car was here last. Absolute junk.

:banana

I’m sure adam will work his magic and get this beast running right. You are giving me a ride when it’s all ready. I’ll give you beer for the trouble.

I <3 the barter system. Currency is way overrated.

The EJ25 is officially a piece of poop. I’ll let BoxerSix elaborate and post pics. :headbang

It’s long gone