Celtic1982citleC's fully built 2006 WRX STI

:sad

oh please elaborate on something i DONT know…??

Have you ever considered an evo?

:crackup

:angry2 :headbang :angry2 :stfu

now thats funny shit right there.

Travis your username is in direct conflict with this thread. ;D

in deed it is. EJ257 for the BOOM! :lol

Swap a 6G72 in it. :tong

No shit :nod For all you picture needing fucks, aka Benny, here’s something to chew on for awhile until I actually start digging into the motor work.

I scoped the motor before pulling it out and determined it to be in cylinder #2. Was right…1st compression ringland blown 1/3rd around the piston. One solid chunk, made the car sound like it had a cracked skirt and disappeared with RPM increase…typical with skirt gone but also typical with such a large chunk of ringland as the compression gases will actually force the piece out into the bore wall much like a ring does. Scored the shit out of the bore and put a ripple in the wall.

Cause?

Granny shifting not double clutching like he should? :lol

Looks like it got a little too hot for that piston no? All the orange looks like torco additive?

Orange=torco…yes. No idea what the cause may have been. I’m not gonna guess. Maybe Adam has a theory?

When I see skirts like that, it has been caused by excessive heat whether it be lean afr or high timing advance…or both. Piston expands and the skirt gets chewed up. The cylinder is so hard it has some scratches but the piston obviously gets murdered. Ptw of around .0005 from the factory doesn’t help. Nor does the 3 hp lawnmower size ring end gaps. :confused

Um, hows letting people down shift from 5th to 2nd at 80mph. Seriously. And seriously there are a number of variables that could have caused this failure some of which Paul listed. All the pistons show major scuffing/heat damage. I’m not one for speculation… I don’t know the exact mic specs on how bad this cylinder is yet and won’t know until I get this stuff down to the machine shop and setup. I can tell you for certain that I’m going to be magnafluxing this crankshaft.

Wonder if maybe the alcohol injection flaked out or ran empty. Was the tune agressive enough to require it or was it used just for backup safety?

Not sure to be honest. The injection system on this is water only for the time being, and I know these suby’s have a crappy tank design that requires the utmost care and patience when mixing and adding fuel additives(torco as you’ve seen by coloration) to prevent a poor/uneven mix. The car was tuned by Seth and I know that he tunes on the conservative side for reliability vs going for broke on power. There’s other superficial damaged here aside from the piston, like the left exhaust cam gear that has stress cracks all in it.

What I do know and can say is that blown engines don’t lie and always have a story to tell. The badly scuffed and galled skirts on these piston alone are enough to paint a picture to anyone who knows these motors.

wow… 4g63 swap?

K20

Can the Fairy on the side of this car be totally naked?

It would run 9s on 87 octane with 3 tires.