Champlain Bridge to be brought down.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Champlain_bridge.JPG

It was opened to traffic in 1929 as a toll bridge; the tolls were removed in 1987. The bridge was closed due to safety concerns in October 2009 and will be demolished and replaced. Removal of the existing bridge will be accomplished by explosive demolition, and is currently scheduled for Wednesday, December 23, 2009

They are trying to find a viewing area for spectators at the moment.

Depending on the time of day, I may just try to make it out.

For anybody up North, it’s not too far - 99Frc.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=champlain%20bridge&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Cool! Get it on video!

Apparently sometime soon after 10 A.M. so I won’t be able to make it, unfortunately.

I’m sure there will be a YouTube video.

Old news. Im game to go watch it get destroyed though

The closing of this bridge has affected my town area A LOT. MANY people that live ‘close’ (within an hour) of that bridge use it for traveling to work, doctors visits, shopping, etc. For example, the local Ford dealer in Ticonderoga is closing down, due to a 40 percent drop in buisness since the bridge was closed down. Now, it takes someone from my town close to three hours to get to Burlington, when it used to take a little over an hour.

For reference, I like about ~18 minutes from the bridge and have been over it thousands of times. I’ll be watching old green go down for sure.:frowning:

Oh, and if anyone wants me to head up a get together to go watch it go down, I’m game. The prime meeting point would be Rite-Aid parking lot off exit 28 (take a right off the exit, drive 18 miles into Ticonderoga, it’s on the left at the 4 way intersection).

99FRC is an hour and twenty minutes away, I’m less than twenty.

Just sayin’

how far from albany? ill go up and watch!

1hr40minutes from exit 4 (the meeting spot), driving at about 73. If we do this, the crew is leaving SHARP at whatever time we set. Lemme do some research and see where the area is going to be, etc.

I may go, my last exam is 12/22 and I’ve been dying to capture something interesting in 1080p hd video on my camera. :lol

Ok. Lemme see where the viewing area is set to be, if I had to guess it’ll be the Port Henry beach.

I read in the paper yesterday that the DOT is/was still trying to figure out a ‘safe’ viewing spot for the public.

Anyone want to rent a boat with me?

Yes im sure the waves will be calm after that for a small boat :lol

And im in 100%. i have room for 4 more if people want togo!

if there is a spot we can see it good im down to go watch.

I’ll post details as soon as I know. In the meantime, you guys should figure out shit on your end as far as meeting places and stuff.

Personally, I’d allow a full two hours (or more) from the exit 4-5 area for you guys, for various reasons.

I’ll come by myself. I love going on random adventures :lol

In the meantime, this is the meeting spot-

Rite Aid
1161 Nys Route 9N
Ticonderoga, NY 12883-3105
(518) 585-6787

As stated before, you simply go up to exit 28. Take a right at the bottom of the off ramp. You’ll pass thru a blinking red light. Drive 18 miles to the next light (literaly no lights in between), look to the left, and you’ll see the Rite Aid.

And PLEASE don’t take ANY directions from ‘99FRC’ if he gets in on this:tongue

Why not just meet up at the viewing area?

Trust me on this one, you’ll get lost, and you gotta pass by the Rite Aid anyway to get there. I will post the address though for people that might be late and shit.

so its about 2 hours… so leave around 730/8?

is demo actually set for 10?

i’m down for a drive to watch this. how long of a drive is it from exit 6 to 28? a lil over an hour and a half i think.

jesus christ pete. read post 13